Sign in with
Your question

NAS help and suggestion Please and thanks

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2009 7:55:12 PM

Aloha Everyone,

Well I think the time has come for me to really start to think of some kind of storage solution and I have found myself pretty much overwhelmed with too much info on the subject. That might sound a little backwards to some but for me if there is too much info being thrown at me I can never seem to concentrate or absorb the goof from the bad.

So I decided to ask the great forum folks here. :bounce: 

Basically I want some sort of NAS. I have read multiple post from users saying build your own and what not but is it really worth it over buying a "care free and easy" solution as a pre built one? (dont get caught up on the care free part as I know is really care free).

Say for instance I do go ahead and build my own NAS.

- I have heard so many say to use the freenas OS thing but I have only ever used Windows and it is a little intemadating going to anything else, unless it is really worth it.

- Could I jsut use my current system or go and buy power friendly CPU, drives, etc...

- The computer I have is prob way over powered to what most use for a NAS but I would hate to waste it.

- I am thinking that I could just use some of the current hardware I have and get a new mobo and drives since that woudl save $$$ and I have two CPU's just chillin anyway.

Ok now for what I have as hardware goes (not much)

- Store bought HP, a so called media pc with an 8500gt video card, 3 gigs of ram, a Q6600 cpu, and whatever mobo hp put in there.. The case however is freakin huge. I cannot think of what model the system is but the case looks esactly like this one:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/maindesk/gr/HPPavilm812...

The major difference is I added a video card that was decent at the time lol.

Also i won a q9300 cpu from an online vendor so I ahve that sitting in its box still.

So with the givin hardware that I currently have could I do something with it as far as a NAS goes? I should get bigger and more energy efficient hard drives though I think.

Cost is a factor and all I have been seeing for the prebuilts is kinda limited unless your looking at 400+ bucks and I would rather but that money towards a knew gaming type PC.

OK I ramble.... Thank all for the advice :pt1cable: 

More about : nas suggestion

a c 126 G Storage
July 20, 2009 10:28:06 PM

I think you should look into FreeNAS. There's not much to setup what you don't know. Just burn the ISO, boot from it, install and setup your ip data (using automatic ip or static ip) and you should be doing everything from your browser on your windows pc, pretty much without hassle.

Version 0.7 also offers experimental ZFS support, which can help data integrity by storing redundantly and checksumming your data, and much more. But this FreeNAS version is not yet stable and its an older ZFS version than available on FreeBSD 8 and OpenSolaris. If you just want to use UFS filesystem, native for FreeNAS, then there are no worries. But the data on the disks won't be very portable; not many OSes can read UFS. It does work fine however, its long in use in the server-market.

As for the hardware, ZFS likes a 64-bit CPU and lots of memory (minimum of 2GB recommended; 4GB even better. For UFS there are no such memory issues and even 256MB would have been enough. Keep in mind the more memory the more RAM cache your box will have. The motherboard should offer at least 6 dedicated full-speed SATA ports, delivered by the chipset interface not any addon controller. That would work best. Check for any Micro-ATX nVidia-chipset powered intel motherboards, that should be ideal for this task since it offers lower power consumption. You won't need any PCI ports, as PCI should be avoided for both disk I/O and network I/O.

A quadcore CPU is nice if you want to do things like compressing and encryption, which is fully multithreaded and scales with the number of CPU cores. But otherwise is pretty overpowered i would say.
a b G Storage
July 21, 2009 8:26:07 AM

Somewhere along the line of an E5200 should be enough if you decide to take advantage of ZFS, running EMT64. Otherwise the Q9300 you already have as sub mesa mentioned above about thing like compressing and encryption.
Q6600 is way too power hungry when idle which is what a NAS will mostly be doing.

Quote:
- I have heard so many say to use the freenas OS thing but I have only ever used Windows and it is a little intemadating going to anything else, unless it is really worth it.
An hour or so reading per day and in about two-three weeks you'll be fully preped. When it comes to the actual installation, if you have any questions we'll be here. ;) 

Quote:
- Store bought HP, a so called media pc with an 8500gt video card, 3 gigs of ram, a Q6600 cpu, and whatever mobo hp put in there.. The case however is freakin huge. I cannot think of what model the system is but the case looks esactly like this one:

How many HDDs (3.5") can it take? HDDs are cheap in $/GB today so running >3 drives in a NAS is not uncommon. e.g. I modded a 6xHDD cage from my full tower into a mid-tower for my NAS, and have used up 5 already.

If you prefer to stick with Windows then you could use it as a HTPC & media server box like I have done, that is if you don't mind the box sitting in your living room (and packed full of spinning HDDs).
!