Sign in with
Your question

Lost Start up menu & Desktop icons

Last response: in Windows XP
September 2, 2010 9:59:10 AM

Hello,
on powering my PC today, the welcome screen comes up OK but when clicking any of the user icons the PC displays the correct wallpaper then stops. No Start menu or desktop icons are shown & all that can be done is to Ctrl + Alt + delete to bring up the task manager. Can you help please?
September 3, 2010 11:13:55 PM

Thanks Hubbardt but I tried that since my original question only to find that all restore points before the problem are gone. There are none available to go back to! I have spent hours trawling Google & MS pages & following suggestions but the concensus from those further up the food chain than me is that it looks as though a virus has got through my McAfee virus protection and deleted or renamed the explorer.exe file preventing the sytem from booting up correctly. It doesn't look good but thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated

Regards

C of E
Related resources
September 4, 2010 1:54:52 AM

Press ctrl + alt + delete to open the task manager. Go to file-->new task-->type explorer.exe and press enter. This should restore your icons and taskbar.
September 5, 2010 9:53:14 PM

Tried that but explorer.exe is no longer there to be retrieved, it's gone completely or possibly hidden having been renamed by the virus. Having spent far too many many hours than I would like admit to trying to sort this out myself I have reached the limit of my ability & given up. Thanks for your assitance but my PC is now in the hands of a competant professional & I am waiting the prognosis. I will up date you with the outcome.

Regards
C of E
October 9, 2012 1:56:12 PM

aford10 said:
Press ctrl + alt + delete to open the task manager. Go to file-->new task-->type explorer.exe and press enter. This should restore your icons and taskbar.

having the same problem,only I am the one that deleted mine by accident,messing around with the registry editor!thought Id best get out of it cause I didnt know what I was doing and point my mouse to the right of the registry and clicked to click off,noticed when I did that every thing to the right had yeidmaster and other stuff vanished!!!!omg,now I have know desktop icons no startup menu,just a background screen saver,can get mt task manager in type exployer.exe files cant be found it says.restored my computer and everything came back!turned it off,next morning it was back,window saying windows cant find command.com file,im lost....
!