please need help with new case an dpower supply not turning on

gregbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
hey this is my first computer build and i have just recieved my raidmax smilodon with a 500 watt power supply and an extra antec 550watt true power trio power supply. so i wanted to make sure all the fans in the case were working, (all the fans in the case use a 4 pin molex connector, out of each fan comes a male and female 4 pin molex) so i connected those in a chain and then connected it to my power supply ( raidmax one ) nothing happened so i thought maybe it is doa so i tried the antec and still nothing happened so can anyone explain to me what happened.

Darron

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2008
If you want to try the fans just by connecting them to the PSU but not turning on the PC, you have to manually turn on the PSU by short-wiring the PSU.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The PSU doesn't turn on just by feeding power to it / hitting any "on" button on it. In order to manually turn it on you have to hot-wire the "GREEN" wire and a black one from the PSU.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
just get a paperclip insert it into the green to the black wire on the 24 pin ATX plug.as mention above it doesnt turn on if you just plug the power in.otherwise you have to unplug your pc from the back eveytime you want to turn it off.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Gregbob... just set up the PC, plug in all the cords and give it a try.

I only "hotwire" a PSU for testing a water setup, to get the pump running.

if you must "hotwire" the PSU here is pics that will help you.
http://www.techwarelabs.com/guides/misc_mod/psumod/

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I cant believe somebody has actually managed to write a guide for "short the green and black wires" AMAZING!

as has been mentioned rig up everything, mobo ram cpu etc... then try it.. if its still not working short the "pwr btn" connection (where you connect the case button to the mobo) with a screw driver as it is sometimes the case that the power button is faulty. its rare, but it happens.

gregbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
sorry for the stupid question, this was my first build and the case and the power supply was all i had recieved so i tried to see if anything was doa