Sign in with
Your question

Best Bang 4 Buck : Please Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2008 9:47:19 PM

Can you help me pick out a PCI-E video card for Age of Conan?

I am hoping to spend $150-200. I run most games in 1064 X 768.

I have been looking at 8800 GT and 9600 GT, but to be honest I dont know what is the best buy.

PS: I dont have SLI capability on this mobo

More about : bang buck

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2008 9:52:05 PM

That price - Probably 8800GTS G92, then 8800GT, then HD3870 or 9600GT or 8800GS. We will have to wait and see some AoC performance testing though to be sure. A $100 card wouldn't be a best buy if you need a faster card to play at your desired settings.
Related resources
May 16, 2008 9:54:32 PM

9600gt performs about the same as 8800gs, but 8800gs is cheaper, so 9600gt wouldn't be the best bang for the buck at its price point.

At a higher price point, 8800gt or g92 8800gts would be the best bang for the buck. Current selection from ATI are not competitive for their price. A g92 8800gts cost only $169.99 after MIR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 16, 2008 10:06:36 PM

And keep in mind, the (g92)GTS performs at a few frames lower then a ultra.
May 16, 2008 10:14:58 PM

dagger said:
9600gt performs about the same as 8800gs, but 8800gs is cheaper, so 9600gt wouldn't be the best bang for the buck at its price point.

At a higher price point, 8800gt or g92 8800gts would be the best bang for the buck. Current selection from ATI are not competitive for their price. A g92 8800gts cost only $169.99 after MIR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I agree too. If you want to save money 8800gs can do same thing as 9600gt. 9600gt is over marketed over 8800gs which is cheaper and perform relatively same with each other. 8800gt is superior card and really the sweet spot and only $25 more than a 9600gt. 8800gts if you want better cooler and slightly higher performance.

3850 have dropped in price considerably as well. With a decent overclock it's not a bad card and perform close to 3870. It has better SP performance than a 9600gt or 8800gs but it does lack in texture performance.

a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2008 10:17:58 PM

^ anyone know how AMD and NV will stack up for this game so far? I guess that may very well change with the retail release, driver updates and even the first game patch. Something to consider with pricing of the HD3850 and even 3870 getting pretty good.
May 16, 2008 10:19:37 PM

Your probably looking at the diffrence between the G92 chips, and the older GTS's which use the G80 or something like that if i remember correctly, its late in the day, and ive been drinkin. lmao
May 16, 2008 10:21:47 PM

I have a friend that is in the closed beta right now, he says not much diffrence between the two, have to remember, with mmos they like to kick up what the game can do, they expect it to be around for a few years, and want to let you see gradual upgrades as you get a better graphic card. Plus its a biotch to rewrite how you graphics system works to take advantage of the latest and greatest out there.
May 16, 2008 10:37:16 PM

jasno said:
ok so I am looking at some GTS (G9) and I am confused why there is a such a price difference here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

If you want to get g92 8800gts, buy the $169.99 model I linked. Nvidia makes the gpus, sell them to different companies, who basically puts on different labels. The gpus are all made by Nvidia, and used on a standardized board layout required by Nvidia. Besides, it comes with 3 year warranty. It'll be obsolete after 3 years anyway.

Even if you're an XFX fanboy, $100 extra is far too much to pay for a brand name label.
May 16, 2008 10:39:02 PM

Lol, I have a xfx , but that is when they were offering the lowest price on the (g92) chips at the time.
May 16, 2008 11:03:23 PM

the only reason i was aiming for evga or xfx was because i know evga customer service and i have heard good things about xfx
May 16, 2008 11:18:01 PM

all true.
May 17, 2008 1:39:56 AM

jasno said:
the only reason i was aiming for evga or xfx was because i know evga customer service and i have heard good things about xfx

Still, is customer service worth $100 more? Besides, either it works or doesn't. If it doesn't work rma it to newegg for another one. If it breaks down later, there's the 3 year warranty. Besides, it's the same gpu made by Nvidia on the same board layout required by Nvidia. Graphics cards have very low fail rate to begin with, compared to things like motherboard. :p 
May 17, 2008 3:51:19 AM

Nvidia has no say in the board layout, they sell the chip and thats where it stops. Personally i would spend the extra 100 dollars to feel secure in my purchase rather then take a gamble, but hey thats me.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2008 4:02:58 AM

At launch with the reference design, NVidia had the whole card made, and sold the whole card, not the GPU. Then BFG and the others put their stickers on them, and boxed them up with their bundle. Shoot, one of BFG OC stickers flew off my 8800GT fan and below it was an NVidia sticker.
May 17, 2008 5:56:48 AM

i dont believe u should buy a graphics card until u can see some the performance of cards on that game post release. but i believe age of conan is not a title to tax graphics. its not a crysis, so a 9600gt should probably max it out, and as ur very low resolution, no offence, enable all the eye candy and id bet ud still have 60>fps
May 17, 2008 6:23:24 AM

If nvidia truly had control over the design of the board, then we would never see these 1 gig cards coming out, sure they lay the roadwork, but individual manufacturers are able to at will to change the scenery. Plus explain to me how some nvidia products come with blue boards, some green? Nvidia isnt goint to blow the money just to change the color depending on who the manufacturer is.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2008 10:55:57 AM

Notice I said at launch and reference design.

For example, there obviously are a broad range of 8800GT cards with different color PCB's and even different length PCB's now. So they are probably not all made at the same factory. But at launch, for a while, there was only the reference design, and NVidia had them made by Foxconn or Flextronics and sold those cards not G92 GPU's.

The G92 GTS are mostly 512MB reference design cards. I wouldn't doubt if ECS has their version made by Foxconn or Flextronics like many other do now, and slaps a sticker on it. Cards are not made by evga, bfg etc. Not saying all cards, but I wouldn't doubt the vast majority could be coming out of the same couple of factories. Companies like BFG, are responsible for bios clock speeds, heatsink, fan stickers, retails packaging and bundle, and to support their product. So in reality, this cheap ecs may have come from the same factory as an evga, bfg, etc.

Here, as an example. Look at the fan stickers my two BFG 8800GT OC's when I bought them. Then look at the fan stickers after a couple months use. One of BFG's stickers flew off in use. Other people said the same thing about their BFG 8800GT's.

Now look at the ecs 8800GTS, and what sticker do you see on the fan?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...(G92)+N8800GTS-512MX+Video+Card

The lighting is different, but look at the BFG model. Besides darker shadowing on the ecs photo, notice any differences? Fan sticker? black heatsink screws vs silver? ANy others?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...(G92)+BFGE88512GTSE+Video+Card
May 17, 2008 6:03:38 PM

Sorry I missed the "at design launch" thats where i was heading when i posted that reply. Anywho yeah i agree they lay out the framework and from there other card makers take it where they think it will be best be served.
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2008 11:46:14 PM

No problem. I think you'd be surprised though on just how many of the current Geforce cards are made by Flextronics or Foxconn and not the "card makers".

Google Flextronics foxconn nvidia or Foxconn flextronic makes cards (or makes Nvida cards)

Check this old article too - http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/g80-7.html
Quote:
"And now about the cards themselves. We have tested three video cards from three manufacturers listed in the title of the article. I repeat that all 8800-series products are currently manufactured at third-party plants (Foxconn, Flextronics) ordered by NVIDIA. This company receives these cards and then sells them to its partners. That's why practically all GeForce 8800 cards are identical, because they are manufactured at two plants under strict NVIDIA control. "

Same went for G92's also, at least reference designs.

May 18, 2008 5:16:05 AM

That i can believe, i think its why it probably took so long before we started seeing one gig cars on familiar boards.
!