Striker extreme problems

burkejw

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I bought a striker extreme motherboard and had problems getting it to work (CPU INIT message) in the first place. Eventually I found that the problem was the screws fixing it to the case.

However, on the same day having installed windows vista ultimate 64bit and a wifi card, I switched it off and it wouldn't work again. The fans spin but the LCD board just reads CPU INIT and it doesn't POST. It was working fine and I went on the internet on it.

I have tried everything such as taking out all the cards and RAM and have cleared CMOS, although I am not sure if I have done this correctly because after I clear and turn on the PSU the board still reads CPU INIT. Should it do this?

I am using a Q6600 intel processor, 2GB of ballistix RAM, 8800GT graphics card, 700W alpha power PSU and a samsung spinpoint 500GB. Its driving me mad!!!

Please give me advice. Thanks.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first with nvidia chipsets the mobo should pretested out side the case and overclocked for 72 hours at mid speed then max for 24 hours. if it will not work in bios it only gets woarse

many nvidia mobos degrade in 4-5 days - do not over heat them! watch the nb!

i suggest you put 3 x 12cm fans blowing on the mobo to cool it while you burn it in. intel chipsets are near flawless while nvidia are nothing but problems

check the nb in bios make sure its below 65c 50-55c is good.

if the nb is high check the therma compound - yeppers pull the heat pipes and replace it - only if the nb is hot. S2E has better TC then privous mobos

new bios does not work as well with 65nm as with 45nm

quads must be tuned properly

cpu int with no oc - end it back to asus asap. if you see cpu int alot and the mobo locks up it will only get woarse.

the fact is nvidia chip sets suck - yes they are a little faster. but they fail at very high rates and massive issues.

burkejw

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I am sending a technical enquiry to Asus so hopefully I will be able to get a different board. Thanks again.