chelli

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I gutted a dell system and plan on using it to install sata drives in rather than cluttering up my desktop with a bunch of External cases and messy wire.What I need to know what wires need to be cut to insert a manual power switch as using the case only and no mother board appear there is 4 contact wire that is connected to the MB for electrical switching purposes rather than a manual on.off switch Which wire can I connect to push button switch for turning the system power on or off
I have sata power adapters and external ports to connect the drives just need to know what to do to add the power switch to it or if you can just buy one that connects to the power coupler already there

Connect green to black in the ATX connector, that should start the psu. So just sure a switch(has to be a switch and not just a temporary contact like a normal power/reset buttons) to that and you should be able to power it up and down.

See here for pictures
http://www.techwarelabs.com/guides/misc_mod/psumod/

chelli

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
that diagram assunes there already id a master on off swircch present which there is not the unit power I have consists of 4 wires two black two yellow attached to a square white conector which plugs in the center of the motherboard similar to the old At case power lines that actually had a switch connected at that spot

thats not ATX then. Almost seems like some old half atx half AT design(i had a machine that way).

ATX has a master switch on the psu it self(even those are not always on new psu's) and a soft-on from the board(green to ground[black]).

Does it have an ATX connector? those 4 wires sound like the main switch(from the days of AT).

chelli

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
its an ATX powersupply as has one mainboard connector not two It has no markings that identify it so don,t know who manufactured it but it was from a Dell Dimension 4300 system found it and converting it to hold all my sata drives instead went out and purchased a used AT power supply with a regular switch attached to a separate power line