PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently got two 1.5 TB drives and set them up in a RAID 0 array. After creating the array using a built in controller on my ASUS P6T motherboard it looks like one large drive, but once I install the OS (Windows 7 RC) it discovers that I cannot do anything with about 731.52 GB of that space. It will not allow me to format or create a new drive. It becomes completely dead space. Here is a pic of my predicament.

Manager.png

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
What are the drives (manufacture/model)?
Is your BIOS up to date?

arpharazon suggested this from Xp
"Under Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management I right-clicked the drive in question (ST31500343AS) and deleted the original partition I set up with my XP disk, then set it up again and quick formatted and now it shows 1.36TB, which is closer to acceptable than .99TB."

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
My BIOS is definitely up to date, I checked last week. Even after I delete the original partition it has an unusable section. I am going to wipe both my HDs and start over to see if that fixes the problem. It will take all night, but I have been trying to fix this for the past 2 days with no avail.

PieceMaker42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
After clearing all data from both my hard drives and still having the issue. I noticed that it was cutting enough space off to make it a 2024 GB partition with the rest being unusable. I though 2024 GB ie 2 TB was kind of a unique number, sure enough ... I had to create 2 RAID arrays with sizes less than 2 TB for my motherboard to make all that data usable. Hope this helps someone else in the future...