Updating AM2 system for gaming, worth it?

Hello all,

After playing a few newer games my 7900GT is starting to artifact really bad.

Currently I have 3800+ X2 on a EPOX EP-MF4 Ultra board w/ 2 GB RAM.

I was thinking of using part of my "stimulus" check to upgrade my video card but may as well do the processor as well to eliminate some of the bottleneck.

I was thinking a 6000/6400+ X2 and 8800GTS. I can get the combo on newegg for around $350-370. Would it be worth the price or should I just go with a cheaper dx10 card? I have vista business (64 bit?) so I may install for dx10 in the future. Any recommendations on video cards?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

5 answers Last reply
More about updating system gaming worth
  1. Wait for the new Radeon 4850/4870 mate...it beats the cr@p outta any existing cards.
  2. Do you think an AM2 on an older nforce2 board would be able to keep up w/ the new cards (limited bottlenecking)? I did a little reading and it sounds like these won't be out for a few months yet...hmmm...
  3. Yes. Personally I'd grab the X2 5400/5600 Brisbane chips, but if you don't mind the heat those will be fine. That definitely is worth the price.

    Now to the hard part, predicting. I can't remember exactly what I read recently, but if the 4850/4870 X1s are going to be out <2 months, I'd wait. Longer, I'd grab the GTS. Either way you'll be in good shape, however, I have a feeling the 4850 will be better than a GTS.

    NForce 2? My 939 has NForce 4. Anyway, a 4850/4870 will still run fine. I think all that bottlenecking stuff is a little overhyped. Just don't expect it to score as many 3DMarks as an Intel Quad @ 4 GHz.
  4. Ya, I was going to see if I could get away with overclocking the 3800+ but after using nvidia's control panel I can't get it above 2150 MHZ w/o BSOD or lock up instantly. Unless using the BIOS makes it that much more stable, over clocking is not going to be an option.

    I'm a little torn if I want to wait for the ATI or not. I have found decent 8800GTS's for ~ 200 lately.

    I may end up going with one of those and a 5600+. I hope I won't be kicking myself if the 4850 crushes the 8800 but as of now absolutely everything is unplayable due to artifacting (long slender textures going across the screen from certain points, the only way to get rid of them is to minimize and go back in). Thanks for the input!

    Any others would be appreciated :D


    EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325 <----looking at that guy.
  5. Well, I saw a site claiming May 08 :ouch:


    I can't vouch for its accuracy, though, but maybe it will come out sooner than we are expecting. That would be a nice change from the ATI/AMD camp.

    I always use the BIOS when OCing, though, I don't know if it will help. Make sure your ram speed and HT link speed don't get too high if you do.

    Though, with how cheap those X2s are (I got my 5400+ Brisbane for only $87!!) it may be best to get one of them and OC it to 3GHz+.

    I understand your plight. I hate waiting. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do in your situation. Right now I've got a 2900XT (not the best, but quite good nonetheless) and little money, so I am in no rush for a new graphics card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Systems Product