I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to help.Due
to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP reinstalled.The technician
told me that all my third party applications would have to be reinstalled.He
collected all my old data,including the Program Files,in a separaste folder.
My concern lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of the
applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the original SetUp
files which in some cases will prove impossible.
I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

Had the tech or you ran file transfer wizard then saved to a cd,you'd be
all set,but not w/o.

"Alan Thompson" wrote:

> I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to help.Due
> to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP reinstalled.The technician
> told me that all my third party applications would have to be reinstalled.He
> collected all my old data,including the Program Files,in a separaste folder.
> My concern lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of the
> applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
> fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the original SetUp
> files which in some cases will prove impossible.
> I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

You need to use the original program installation media
in order to reinstall your programs.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alan Thompson" wrote:

| I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to help.Due
| to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP reinstalled.The technician
| told me that all my third party applications would have to be reinstalled.He
| collected all my old data,including the Program Files,in a separaste folder.
| My concern lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of the
| applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
| fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the original SetUp
| files which in some cases will prove impossible.
| I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

Wrong.

The applications would need to be installed from the original installation
media.
FAST would not accomplish this in any way.

Don Burnette

Andrew E. wrote:
> Had the tech or you ran file transfer wizard then saved to a
> cd,you'd be all set,but not w/o.
>
> "Alan Thompson" wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to
>> help.Due to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP
>> reinstalled.The technician told me that all my third party
>> applications would have to be reinstalled.He collected all my old
>> data,including the Program Files,in a separaste folder. My concern
>> lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of the
>> applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
>> fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the
>> original SetUp files which in some cases will prove impossible.
>> I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

That's wrong. You need to reinstall from the original installation media -
period. The FAST wizard saved settings, preferences, even data, but it does
not allow for you to replace a program without reinstalling in a clean
system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Had the tech or you ran file transfer wizard then saved to a cd,you'd be
> all set,but not w/o.
>
> "Alan Thompson" wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to
>> help.Due
>> to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP reinstalled.The technician
>> told me that all my third party applications would have to be
>> reinstalled.He
>> collected all my old data,including the Program Files,in a separaste
>> folder.
>> My concern lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of
>> the
>> applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
>> fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the original
>> SetUp
>> files which in some cases will prove impossible.
>> I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

dl

you being serious?

> Had the tech or you ran file transfer wizard then saved to a cd,you'd be
> all set,but not w/o.
>
> "Alan Thompson" wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this is on topic or not but someone may be able to
help.Due
> > to file corruption I had to have my WindowsXP reinstalled.The technician
> > told me that all my third party applications would have to be
reinstalled.He
> > collected all my old data,including the Program Files,in a separaste
folder.
> > My concern lies in these Program Files.I would like to reinstall most of
the
> > applications there but most folders contain no SetUp files.Is it,in
> > fact,possible to reinstall any of them without obtaining the original
SetUp
> > files which in some cases will prove impossible.
> > I hope I make myself clear.Thanks for any advice.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:01:00 +0100, DL wrote
(in article <ObrSuDtnFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>):

> you being serious?

Now you know why I call him Andrew the Eejit. He's the resident f**kwit and
permanent member of the Moron of the Month Hall of Shame. He has a wall all
to himself.

Of course he's serious - he's an idiot!

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:27:01 +0100, Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers wrote
(in article <ew3yQStnFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):

> That's wrong. You need to reinstall from the original installation media -
> period. The FAST wizard saved settings, preferences, even data, but it does
> not allow for you to replace a program without reinstalling in a clean
> system.

Another in the eye for Windows. On a Mac all you have to do to uninstall is
drag the application folder to the trash. No files scattered to the four
corners of the hard drive, no files in the system folder, no registry
entries; just a self contained package. Not even Office, TTBOMK, installs
anything in the system folder. How I miss trawling the registry looking for
rogue entries that weren't deleted when an application was uninstalled - NOT!
When I had to reinstall Tiger due to a faulty hard drive, I backed up most of
my applications to a CD and replaced them back in the applications folder
when the OS was reinstalled. Not the major ones, like CS2 and Office, but
things like Adium (Trillian for OSX), Hogwasher (news) and Firefox. Call me a
Mac troll if you like, I don't care; the grass is definitely greener this
side of the fence! ;o)

> You need to use the original program installation media
> in order to reinstall your programs.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

Thanks.However that raises anothe interesting point.Some of the applications
in the Old Programs folder still appear to work,not all,just some.These do
not appear in Add/Remove so I guess they are not installed as such.Why is
this and does it do any harm to use them?

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:00:05 -0700, Alan Thompson wrote:

> Thanks.However that raises anothe interesting point.Some of the applications
> in the Old Programs folder still appear to work,not all,just some.These do
> not appear in Add/Remove so I guess they are not installed as such.Why is
> this and does it do any harm to use them?

The programs that are doing this are designed to be "free-standing." They
do not rely on registry settings or files shared with other applications to
run. Consider these programs as exceptions to what you've already been
told. They're not as common as most other Windows programs - those that do
need to be installed while working within the operating system they will be
used with.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User