AnandTech dupes Nehalem benchmaks

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Seems AnandTech in their Nehalem preview (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3326)
has deliberately modified the scores of Penryn from a cople of monts ago. Anand is claiming that the reduction of scores is due to a Vista update. (is that true?)

Scientia (http://scientiasblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/nehalem-appears-but-anandtech-chokes.html) has an article describing the diferences between scores of Penryn from january and the scores it used to compare Penryn with Nehalem. And the finding is that Penryn scores were higher back then by 980 points. (Efectively reducing Nehalem's advantage to 10% in a multithreaded scenario)

I don't know why Anand hasn't provided an explanation for reduced Penryn scores in the Nehalem comparison and if there really is a valid reason to those reductions (a Vista update? that has reduced the score of 3D Max 9 by 21%? I personally doubt it, and I would like to see a confirmation that this indeed happened)

Anyway I hope to see more professional testing soon.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
absolutely insane...i still got a few years left out of my Q9450, but seeing it get slaughtered like this makes me sad -tear-

nehalem will be mind blowing...wow

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006

The Nehalem thing is getting interesting, on TH there's that video of "insane overclocking" on air without disclosed speed, on AnandTech they only benchmark an 2.66 GHz Nehalem (which is lower than Penryn) and also Nehalem has a higher power usage than Penryn in their tests ... then there's the "ajusted" Penryn scores ... Frankly I believed all along that Nehalem will deliver about 30% over Penryn clock for clock and higher frequencies but now I'm beginning to have some doubts about that.

Why? has this place been taken over completely?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
if anand did modify the numbers, why? they don't seem to have anything to gain by doing so. did you take into account the fact that they underclocked the penryn to match the nehelem's speed for a clock-by-clock comparison?

I would hate to think that shenanigans are afoot over at Anand. But, if memory serves me correct (and maybe not after smoking one too many blunts) Anand posted some shady early benchmarks regarding Conroe. So, with that said, it's plausible that some numbers "modification" took place.

I have no doubt that Nehalem will be a performer, but I'm gonna reserve judgement until more 3rd party reviews are available.

Shame that Nehalem will initially be priced outside of my budget.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006

They actualy updated their Penryn Scores in the article :)

Quote :

"(Updated: The original single-threaded Penryn Cinebench numbers were incorrect, we've included the correct ones):"

"Cinebench shows us only a 2% increase in core-to-core performance from Penryn to Nehalem at the same clock speed. For applications that don't go out to main memory much and can stay confined to a single core, Nehalem behaves very much like Penryn. Remember that outside of the memory architecture and HT tweaks to the core, Nehalem's list of improvements are very specific (e.g. faster unaligned cache accesses)."

I don't think Anand did it intentionally.

I've noticed before that AT does not really establish a 'coherent' and consistent base of benchies (like Tom's CPU Charts). They run through a bunch of different tests and systems and it gets really difficult to make comparisons.

He did the same thing with Skulltrail. He ran both SLI and Crossfire on Skulltrail and compared the results side by side ....

The only problem was in comparable tests (games and resolutions) several months previous on the 790fx chipset the Crossfire results were substantially higher. Kinda gave a false impression .... :whistle:

Vista could take some performance out but recently it has been performing much like XP. I am not sure what they did to make the socres what they were.

I think they said the Penryn setup was a bit handicapped as was the Nehalem setup since it wasnt at its true peak performance.

I do have no doubt that Nehalem will probably lay the smaketh down on Penryn when we have nice mobos from Asus and such and the silicon is in its final stages.

I also think the power consumption will go down. Its possible that the mobo was not regulating the voltage sufficiently so it could have possibly caused it to use more power than it truly will.

SMU_Pony

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
From a comment at Roborat's blog.... ( http://roborat64.blogspot.com/ )

For someone so uptight about proper testing methodologies and calling into question all the details, it would be helpful if he actually looked the details of the tests before spouting off. When Sci points out that Anand's old review showed the Q9450 get a score of 3297 in the single threaded Cinebench run, which is obviously higher than the one reported in the Nehalem preview score of Q9450 = 2931, it should be noted that was because the old test was using the 64-bit Vista OS while the new one is using 32-Bit Vista.

Looking at this Vista comparison benchmark by Extremetech, the Vista 64-bit gives a 10% advantage over 32-bit, which easily explains a the difference.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2280813,00.asp

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hey Chunky Monster,

Maybe Nehalem wouldn't be out of your budget, if you weren't wasting all your money on "Blunts" as you put it.

Your quote is perfect, your ass does all your talking. You should think about that real long and hard next time you drop some coin on your "Blunts".

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Hey now why all the hate on pot?

Word, Playa.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Makes me sad the stigma that follows pot, but alcohol which is also a drug doesn't get near the "hate". When was the last time a pot head beat his wife, kill someone in an automobile accident, went on a violent rampage, or passed out in a alley.

Now in no way am I praising drugs as crack and meth are a serious issue but all in all pot tends to be the lesser of the evils, maybe because I am a adamant pot smoker that keeps to himself and doesn’t push the product on anyone, but common hating on something that just slows a person down mentally isn't justified. Well I suppose your views on the product do have merit I wont argue that but my original statement holds true regardless if your feel its a evil product or not, but it is found naturally so without the need of human tinkering, the tinkering just makes it that much more potent.

Word, Playa.

DeafB4Dishonor

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

Someone needs a blunt.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Yup, there are so many evils in this world... were all far from perfect... I'm a certified chocolate addict!

Seriously I hope you get some counselling and etc. Might help you live... its almost more important that anything else in your life... please, try and lose the smokes...

All evil is bad, even chocolate... or alcohol... and alcohol users can get pretty mad too... Imagine chickadee + y6 farewell + alcohol... before you go all oooh ah, almost everybody drinks at our school... not me tho...

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Counselling for what? You have a medical paper that states pot = cancer? Plus frankly if it kills me it kills me, no tax dollars go to the government from pot to fund their wars, no tax dollars go to the government to fund their terrible spending or lucrative salaries. All in all the sooner I am dead the sooner I get to miss the world economy slump, the soon to be real energy crisis, food crisis, and the 1st atomic weapon used on civilian targets since WW2.

Word, Playa.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

And you will have to sell your car to have one. Keep your fanboism to the max. And your Celerons aswell.