memory for asus p5q pro?

G

I'm trying to put together components for a new build & am thinking about this board.

I looked at their qualified vendors list for memory & am having a hard time matching up part numbers at newegg. I'm looking for 2x2Gb, ddr2,800.

Can anyone tell me whats good/fits in this board?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Does it really matter what memory you run? I have Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 and it works excellent. I'm pretty sure any RAM you can put in there will work fine. Pardon me if this assumption is incorrect.

twattle

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

If you don't like the corsair RAM I posted you should take a pick amongst these (minus the **** brands):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6064+1052508081+1052315794&name=4GB+(2+x+2GB)
The timings are also important.
And I don't think the corsair kit I intially posted are overpriced at all. You pay for quality.

You pay for the name.
As long as it has a lifetime warranty (which 95% of them do) they are all the same.
From the C4 listings, they start at $84.99 and offer the same performance of the set you bought @ $109 on sale before rebate. Not saying what you got is bad, just overpriced.

G

thanks for the responses.

Asus' list is throwing me a curve. They have no corsair or crucial dddr2/800 2gb sticks listed & the patriot 2gb stick sez 'supports one module inserted into either slot as single channel memory configuration' under their socket support column.

I guess my question is how much weight should be given to these vendor lists & how do you know if a given stick will fit/work in the mobo?

Sorry, I am missing where you said what Mb you plan on using.
Regardless, if it is any current Mb you should have no problems with compatibility. Most of the time the official support list is well outdated. It would be impossible to test every set of RAM available and they are rarely updated after launch.
Post the motherboard you are planing on using and we will see if you will have any problems.

G

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Just a tentative choice, I'm still hashing together components but thought I'd try & match up memory with it.
I may try some moderate overclocking.

Durrr :pt1cable:
I should have looked again at the title of the post!

Yeah, you will have no trouble with any DDR2 RAM, which ever you chose will work just fine. You may have to manually adjust the timing and voltages in the BIOS but this is an easy issue.

For an extra $10 I would recommend the P5Q-E for it's better cooling and layout. There may be a reason newegg has only angled shots of the layout on the PRO Mb ;)

G

This is totally incorrect.
All p5q motherboards have issues with memory incompatibility. So better make sure that the memory you buy is in that ASUS list.
I had to change my Kingston.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I have one PC at home based on P5Q Pro with corsair XMS2 - no problems whatsoever. Built 3 others for customers(all on PRO) two with some extra value ram from ebuyer.com, one with kingston value ram - they all work without a hitch.

IMO p5q-pro is one of the best allround mobos out there, but yeah, cooling on p5q-e seems a bit more solid.

TRENDING THREADS