Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I'm lost for an explanation

Last response: in Windows XP
September 2, 2010 11:23:12 PM

Okay First off, I'm not usually faced with an issue with my computer I can't fix. Having said that, I'm stumped, and considering the fact that some piece of hardware is starting to fail. (And yes, I've spent the past week trying different things and researching, trying to find a solution.)

It all started about a week ago, my computer was working fine and all of a sudden my computer started to hang during startup and shutdown. I first tried a bunch of options to fix that one issue, after all else failed, I figured a simple reformat of my C: drive and problem solved... Wrong...

And to add insult to injury after the reformat the computer now lags (mouse stutters) during simple tasks like right clicking on a tab in Google Chrome. (since I've built this computer, no matter how much a load the CPU was under the mouse always moved smoothly.) That's when I started to think that I may be looking at a hardware issue...

I've tried installing and reinstalling the latest drivers for my video card, I've also been experiencing an odd phenomenon in Google Chrome when I click on random links I get an error message

"Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

My computer specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus P5GD1
CPU: Intel P4 3.0Ghz w/HT (since I got it in about 2003 or 2004 I've had it clocked at 3.75Ghz) (RAM-500 FSB1000)
Video Card: ATi Sapphire HD3650 <- pretty new bought in 08 or 09
RAM: 1GB (2x 512) Shika X Ram?

Maybe a piece of hardware is simply getting tired, but I'd like to know for sure. any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, JF

More about : lost explanation

September 3, 2010 2:01:12 AM

Only one question..

After you reformatted, what did you do next?
Score
September 3, 2010 11:12:34 AM

I popped in my mobo disc and started installing drivers, followed by my video card driver (noticed that even after the video driver was installed the computer still had symptoms similar to no driver at all. like the aforementioned mouse lag) then I installed AVG, ad-aware, then spybot. ran updates and scans throughout and found nothing.

Cheers, JF
Score
Related resources
September 3, 2010 1:34:08 PM

Boot into safe mode with networking. Do you have the same issues there?

Check the event viewer. Are there any errors in there?

AVG can be a resource hog. I'd recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, or Avira.

Start-->run-->chkdsk /r <-- this will scan for physical hard drive errors, and try to repair any it finds.

start-->run-->sfc /scannow <-- this will check your system files for issues. You'll need the XP disc for this scan.
Score
September 3, 2010 3:01:05 PM

I tried doing scans in safe mode. I'm gonna try all those things you mentioned, and let ya know if they work, thanks.
Score
September 3, 2010 3:14:02 PM

It's good to do scans in safe mode. But what I was wondering, is do the lagging, and errors, and other issues follow you into safe mode? Or does it run correctly?
Score
September 3, 2010 4:53:36 PM

i'm running in safe mode right now, and the mouse lagging is still there, mouse is smooth, until tom's hardware was loading, and if i right click anywhere it lags
Score
September 3, 2010 5:02:17 PM

Any results from the scans yet?
Score
September 3, 2010 5:03:28 PM

I just went into Event Viewer and I exported the logs
PM me your email so I can send em to you. there are some errors in there, but I don't know if they're crucial.
Score
September 4, 2010 5:19:51 AM

Finlay09 said:
Maybe a piece of hardware is simply getting tired, but I'd like to know for sure. any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Wireless mouse? If so, battery good?
Wireless mouse? Is it Microsoft and has a companion keyboard? Toss.

Ram timing in BIOS set correctly?
Score
September 5, 2010 1:06:16 PM

My mouse is good, Logitech G5 Laser... having said that.... I've fixed the problem, and you'll never guess what it was.

For the past while I've been having some home network reliability issues, so I had this old linksys PCI Ethernet card lying around and decided to give it a try. The next thing ya know the computer doesn't hang on startup or shutdown and the mouse no longer lags.

Tell me, has anyone else ever had something weird like this happen... or is it just me?

And also thanks guys for helping me troubleshoot. it's always good to learn new things.

Cheers, JF
Score

Best solution

September 5, 2010 2:25:12 PM

Your power supply could be failing... weird freezing at startup / shutdown or random reboots could be an indicator of a failing power supply. Also, check the capacitors on your motherboard... make sure that none of them are bulged out / leaking. Bad caps can cause a multitude of issues depending on which ones have failed.
September 5, 2010 3:35:39 PM

my PSU is still pretty new, only about 2 years old, however, I checked the mobo, and there's a bulged cap right next to the chipset heat sink I think is what it is.
here's a picture of my mobo I got off the internet. the cap is circled in red.

Score
September 6, 2010 5:14:32 PM

That would do it... if you're confident with your soldering abilities, you can purchase and try to replace the cap yourself... it is fairly simple, but you must be careful not to apply too much heat to the board itself. You'd think that after all the flak that board and OEM manufacturers got over this issue that they would have taken steps to avoid it... but it is quite obviously still a problem. These caps usually don't go until after the warranty has expired... which can be frustrating. You can't blame any single manufacturer either... because I've seen all types of boards (even those in an ATM machine) suffer from this. Good luck if your decide to replace it yourself... and hopefully the other caps won't start to fail later on down the road... at least not until you're ready to replace the motherboard.
Score
September 6, 2010 10:10:49 PM

Yea, the board seems to still function fine at the moment... if it ain't broke I ain't messing with it. having said that I'm planning on buying some new gear in the next little while, a motherboard being one of em, so I'll probably do it then. I've got a nice iron for doing such activities, just not a bunch of practice. But that just makes it more fun tho, doesn't it,lol

Cheers, JF
Score
September 18, 2010 1:25:52 PM

Best answer selected by Finlay09.
Score
September 20, 2010 2:48:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!