Sign in with
Your question

South Korea hit Intel with $25.4 million antitrust fine

Last response: in CPUs
June 6, 2008 9:12:26 AM

This is a sign of things to come....Europe and the US will be next to fine Intel I believe.....

Artice:
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerartic...

Artice Quotes:

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korea's antitrust regulator said Thursday it will order Intel Corp. to pay $25.4 million for violating fair trade rules.

The Korea Fair Trade Commission said in a statement it was issuing the order because the semiconductor giant offered rebates to South Korean computer companies to undercut competitor Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

Quote:
The commission said that Intel provided rebates to Samsung Electronics Co. and Trigem Computer Inc. to not use central processing units, or CPUs, manufactured by AMD, Intel's main competitor.

Quote:
One of Intel's biggest legal headaches is a landmark antitrust lawsuit AMD filed in June 2005 in U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware — and is still pending — accusing its much-larger rival of illegally maintaining and protecting a monopoly in microprocessors by threatening computer makers and forcing them into exclusive deals.

A victory by Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD could mean potentially billions of dollars in damages. Trial is scheduled for 2009. The lawsuit is currently in the document-swapping phase of the legal process called "discovery."

Intel has also been hit with antitrust charges in the European Union, where regulators have accused the company of paying manufacturers to delay or cancel product lines using AMD chips while selling its own chips below their average cost, which the EU views as predatory pricing.

Being evil is back firing on Intel! I'm very happy about this news!

AMD4LIFE!!
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2008 9:14:41 AM

If true those claims will only bring back little if not no money for AMD...

Anyways I think somebody's posted this before but hey, anything Thunderman...

AMD4Life
June 6, 2008 9:45:17 AM

One thing I never understood about these types of fines is they do nothing. It's like fining a company for dumping radioactive sludge in the river $50k after doing it for 10 years and saving the company 100's of millions. It's almost encouraging the behavior its such a minor slap on the wrist.

This is money intel makes in hours practically. But yet if other companies that say were worth only a few million would be buried by this.

There needs to be some sort of system that fines accordingly based on total company worth, yearly profit or yearly income or something.

If the punishment for doing something like this was say 100 percent of profit for 1 year, if its not a profitable company then the punishment waits until it is. Think that would get some attention and teach the company something? I would think so.

I remember when bill gates was fine 500k for doing some sort of illegal trading with stock of some company. This is a dude who's toilet paper he uses per day probably costs that. Think it really mattered to him? Probably not. Think if they said the fine is 10 percent of your net worth it would of gotten his attention? Hell yeah. Now this would of hurt anyone even bill gates, but it probably wouldn't of buried anyone either.

Same thing with the RIAA suing for 300k for downloading 5 songs over the net. This is for someone who makes 15k a year.

So yeah something is definately wrong with the system everywhere appearently. That antitrust trial in the 90's with Microsoft took years, and did nothing. All because a judge has a big mouth. Think of they said Microsoft your punishment is 3 years with no profit for your behavior it would of done a bit more then dont do it again? I would think so.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2008 9:52:57 AM

Neither do I tho... but AMD's shares went up and Intel down... (today..)
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2008 11:29:47 AM

amdfangirl said:
Anyways I think somebody's posted this before but hey, anything Thunderman...

Yes, a thread was already created about this.

You can read that thread here.

Enjoy!
June 6, 2008 11:50:38 AM

$25m !! it would take fine 40 times as much for intel to to take note. Its like when the FA fine clubs who make £300m a year £50k.
June 6, 2008 11:59:18 AM

The actual case between Intel and AMD is worth Billions, but the Governments are fining Intel as well. It would also make the case stand up alot better if the EU, South Korea and the US government fined Intel on anti-competition charges
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2008 3:33:07 PM

thunderman your disciple chunky has a thread that predates this by a day so can you delete this and join the other one?

Sorry to tell god to follow the rulez but this is America !!

Here they even impeach them.

Plus they have the best National Anthem ...

The blondes are worth a third or even 736th look.

I don't have a gun so I can't go there at present ... what is with that??

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-250832_28_40.htm...
June 6, 2008 3:58:53 PM

More rehash of yesterday's news. Intel was fined a mere pittance that won't affect it. Intel will go on doing what its been doing. AMD will keep on loosing, because that's what AMD seems to be best at these days. Oh yes, the sun will come up in the east again tomorrow. Nothing new, so on to something that's more important.
June 6, 2008 5:36:31 PM

all i know is the north will hit them with something else, kim jong il is an amd fan boy
June 6, 2008 5:57:10 PM

wh3resmycar said:
all i know is the north will hit them with something else, kim jong il is an amd fan boy

lol. I'm proud to be a fanboy with him?

AMD4LIFE
June 6, 2008 6:11:18 PM

Just saw this hit the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080606/bs_nm/intel_ftc_dc_...

"The New York state attorney general opened a formal probe of Intel in January. And one year ago, the European Commission in Brussels charged Intel with selling chips below cost and offering customers huge rebates in an illegal attempt to drive AMD out of the market.

The New York Times, which first reported the formal FTC investigation on Friday, said the agency's move to investigate reversed a decision by the former head of the agency, Deborah Majoras, who resigned, effective late March. The FTC is now headed by William Kovacic, a Republican.

In addition to the various government investigations, AMD filed its own lawsuit in 2005 in federal court accusing Intel of giving computer makers illegal discounts and retaliating against manufacturers who used AMD chips or stores that gave significant shelf space to computers with AMD chips. On Thursday, the Delaware court overseeing the case postponed a trial until 2010."

That's right, the case is postponed until 2010, by which time AMD may have already been driven out of business. By the way, before anyone starts in on the "AMD Fanboy" accusations, I use an Intel chip in my gaming computer. Just commenting on what seems to be relevant news here.
June 7, 2008 5:57:32 AM

i just dont get it, 25mil for a multi-billion $ company. its like plucking hair; gets your attention the first few moments afterwards you forget about it.

some government should fine intel a billion $ for all the IT waste they dump year by year.

i love intel though :D , i got a c2q on my rig, yeah!
May 11, 2009 6:44:11 PM

wh3resmycar said:

That's North Korea dude... canyon sized difference.
May 11, 2009 6:55:49 PM

I wonder what would happen if amd ended the x86-64 license to intel, would anyone really care because most people still use 32bit os'es anyway.

The only affect it would have to intel is the gaming market, maybe the small area of the server market that they own but I think that will pass away anyway when AMD releases the F+ cpu's.
May 11, 2009 10:14:04 PM

Nice bump there guys...

READ THE POST DATES!!!!
a c 127 à CPUs
May 11, 2009 10:26:25 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
I wonder what would happen if amd ended the x86-64 license to intel, would anyone really care because most people still use 32bit os'es anyway.

The only affect it would have to intel is the gaming market, maybe the small area of the server market that they own but I think that will pass away anyway when AMD releases the F+ cpu's.

Yea year old thread.

And AMD couldn't technically do that as it would be anti-competative TBH. Even if Intel is bigger it would mean AMD would hold a monopoly on the 64bit market. But the I am sure Intel would just develop its own 64bit that runs x86. Or Itanium would finally take off when 64bit becomes more popular.
May 11, 2009 10:30:47 PM

Dammit, this is starting to get on my nerves.
May 11, 2009 11:35:40 PM

vgdarkstar said:
That's North Korea dude... canyon sized difference.

!