Can some one give me a brief description of Memory/RAM

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I've built 2 computers in the past but this next computer i'm building i'd like to go all out, building the best possible setup i can for the money i have($2300). To do this, i've been looking at differen't sites and researching differen't parts for the computer i would like to put together, but i still don't full understand what makes RAM good. Can some one please explain how ram plays into doing various things on the internet like surfing the web,downloading, and playing games. Also can some one please explain what the difference is between ram that has different timings but is rated at the same speed. What is better, a higher clocked ram like something that is rated at 1200 mhz with higher timings or something rated at 800 mhz with low timings? I've read the memory faq but i still don't full understand. Thanks for any help provided ;)

redrage

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
Ok, my real question would be, what would it take to make a Q9450 OC to around 3.6GHz, like what type of memory and still make everything run smooth. The MB i plan on getting supports up to DDR2 1200, it's the Gigabyte x48 DS4. Could i OC the Q9450 on this to around 3.6Ghz? I want to also run xfire with two 4870's, that's why i'm choosing a intel based mb.