Sign in with
Your question

Please help Lacie Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
July 22, 2009 3:05:40 AM

I currently have a 500g Lacie External Hard Drive. I purchased it about 3 weeks ago and I think its already failing to work on some computers.

Sometimes when I try to use it, it seems to make a constant "beeping" noise. Other PC's it seems to work fine.

Does this mean my hard drive is on its way out?

More about : lacie hard drive

a b G Storage
July 22, 2009 5:44:58 AM

Bad news: that beeping sound indicates that your hard drive has failed. If you can recover any data from it, I suggest you do so.

Good news: since your drive is only 3 weeks old, you can have it sent back for a replacement.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 23, 2009 12:52:01 AM

I have a LaCie little Disk 300gb and mine started beeping too, when it started beeping it stopped working. I solved the problem by using a transformer to plug it into a power supply. As soon as it had an extra power supply it started working again as normal.

More detail: the LaCie external hard drive (I'll call this HD from now on) worked fine when plugged directly into my Macbook Pro, but it beeped when I tried to connect it to an AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS). The HD was completely non-functional when connected to the AEBS, all it did was beep and my computer couldn't 'see' it at all.

I bought a small transformer that put out 5V, had a USB style plug as it's output and could plug directly into a normal wall socket. This transformer was intended for use with Nintendo DS or Playstation portable, but because it had a USB connection and the correct voltage output, I was able to use it with the HD. I used the USB power connection cable, that came with the HD, to connect the HD to the transformer. The HD worked fine ever since.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 2, 2011 4:36:48 PM

Quote:
I have a LaCie little Disk 300gb and mine started beeping too, when it started beeping it stopped working. I solved the problem by using a transformer to plug it into a power supply. As soon as it had an extra power supply it started working again as normal.

More detail: the LaCie external hard drive (I'll call this HD from now on) worked fine when plugged directly into my Macbook Pro, but it beeped when I tried to connect it to an AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS). The HD was completely non-functional when connected to the AEBS, all it did was beep and my computer couldn't 'see' it at all.

I bought a small transformer that put out 5V, had a USB style plug as it's output and could plug directly into a normal wall socket. This transformer was intended for use with Nintendo DS or Playstation portable, but because it had a USB connection and the correct voltage output, I was able to use it with the HD. I used the USB power connection cable, that came with the HD, to connect the HD to the transformer. The HD worked fine ever since.

Hi, I seem to have the same problem, but I wanted to ask you if by "tansformer" you mean a usb cable or an elecrtic cable because my hard disk connects directly to the computer without external electricity plugins.
Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
!