Status
Not open for further replies.

derickl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I just installed an LG BH08 Blu-ray Disc Rewriter, but I'm having problems installing the software from the included BD. Per the manual instructions (pg.7), I've uninstalled any previous CD/DVD/BD burning software, but I still get the following error message when I try to run the install from the installation BD: "This software can only be installed with a LG(HLDS) device. The setup will abort."
I am running the install BD on the LG BH08, and it still aborts on me.
Any ideas?
Thx - Derick

derickl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

I've spent hours looking everyplace I could think of online. I CANNOT find an updated driver. That was one thing I suspected, but have NOT been able to resolve.

Thanks for the response, tho!

Derick

paulcolucci

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I had the same exact problem and figured out how to fix it. I had an older LG Drive installed that the BH08 was replacing. Turns out Windows was loading keeping the drivers of the old LG and using them for this one. Go to device manager and make sure you see "HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH08LS20". if you don't or see something similar then uninstall the driver and immedatley shut down windows. Plug the BH08 into a different Sata port and then boot up. Windows should use the right driver now (hopefully).

derickl

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hi there Paul,

I expect that probably would have worked, but I chose a different route. It's been two years since I built out this box, and I started updating it, so I added 4GB more RAM and installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit instead.

That version of Windows recognized the drive no problem.

Thanks for the help!

Derick

G

I also had the exact same problem. For me the solution was to uninstall software that created a virtual CD/DVD drive - in my case UltraISO and Daemon tools. Then the super multi blue installer was fine.

JohnProudlove

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
paulcolocci's advice worked for me. I don't think running Vista 64-bit is itself a fix, as that is what I had when the problem first occurred. Like Paul, I was replacing an older LG drive though.

escape2mtns

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I'm running 32 bit XP and had the same issue. My fix was the same as "anonymous". I uninstalled UltraISO and everything worked fine.

dert

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I think everyone's on the same page now. First, LG and their support of the new 8X and up BluRay burners is HORRIBLE! Getting these things up and running on Vista and Windows 7 is a NIGHTMARE, especially with the x64 systems. I should elaborate and say that's only true for pre-existing systems however. I just did a brand new install with a WH08 drive and Windows 7 x64 and it just went in and flew. Nice. But all attempts to get it running on a build with previous burners just wouldn't go. Boo, Hiss! I went to the LG site for software and drivers and they have NOTHING, nothing but a stupid PDF showing all the wonderful features the drive has. That's laughable since the drives won't fire up unless you're on a brand new build. I expected more from LG.

Second, the bundled software blows chunks and I'm really being polite with that statement. For whatever reason, if you have ANY virtual drive software or BD enhancement software...the bundled software halts with "This software can only be installed with a LG(HLDS) device. The setup will abort." A call to LG support will result in a "technician" (also laughable) telling you the drive is bad and to return it. IT'S NOT BAD!!! You have to disable ALL virtual drive software and any drive enhancers like AnyDVD and then run the bundled software. I had PowerISO and AnyDVD installed and had to kill them both and voila! I had joy. So if you've got the LG(HLDS) error and you can't install the bundled software, you have to keep killing anything that's attached to your new LG drive and just keep doing that until you get a positive response from the install disc. Once you get the install to fly, feel free to re-enable your other software. Be cautioned, some add-ons like AnyDVD may tip over. Fortunately AnyDVD knows this and just provided an update with a workaround that allows PowerDVD to keep going with AnyDVD running. Sorry, I'm digressing. But do be prepared to go on the hunt for updated virtual drive software and whatnot with this crap drive and bundled software. They don't play nice.

leon2006

Distinguished
You need to update bios as well. Old bios don't recognize the new drives or may have issues with it.

I have a the 1st generation 6x GGW-H20L. I updated the firmware from LG and then Vista Listed it as a DVD drive on the control panel.

I updated the bios then its listed as GGW-H20L on the device manager.

I never had issues with my BlueRay/HD-DVD drive from LG. I had it for more than 3 years now.

hpuk2000

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Just found this thread after a "Google" search as I too was having a problem install the SW that came with my new LG BH10.

I tried it on 2 different machines with the same
"This Software can only be installed with a LG(HLDS) device. The setup will Abort"

After reading the above post I realised both PC's had UltraISO" on them.

I didn't even uninstall it.
Just click, Options, Configuration, Virtual Drive, and set it to 0 (zero Virtual drives)

The LG bundled SW installed imediately.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris

ohmanhix

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Thank you hpuk2000 and derk, I got the same problems with my LG BH10 and figured i have Ultra ISO on my window 7 64 bit. I did set to 0 drive and yeah, it works great.
Thank you very much! now im enjoying my new LG bluray drive :D

G

Hi

Just thought I would add this... I was having the same problem installing the software for my Blu-ray BH10 and had to change my reg files. I kept getting Error 1324. The file Labtop FG has .....

Window 7 "64 or 32 Bit Users"

"Click on start"
"Type in the word regedit in the run menu"
"Click the regedit icon"
"Click edit"
"Click Find"
"Now enter the error you are having"
"Change or remove all the "Labtop FG" then press the "F3" button.
"Countinue to do this till you are done"

Now download software... Good Luck!

concordantmind

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I removed powerISO and have had no other problems. Took me 30 seconds of googling to fix this thanks you guysw! Thanks. Considering the hell Ive been through with some other IT products I'd call this a minor problem.

Calling ANY tech support is waste of time. I probably have called Tech Support twice in the last decade and that was for a very strange problem, and suprisingly (one we got up to the right level of support) Sony actually fixed the problem.

So don't bash this drive to much you guys :)

-ConcordantMind

caldgargan

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

You have to use the USB to install the software. I had the same problem so unplugged the SATA and plugged in the USB. Worked fine.

eidolonnyc

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Just wanted to post here since I had this problem on Friday. Today, I just plugged in the drive without bothering to install the software, and I am able to burn Lightscribe CDs using SureThing. The drive is recognized and is operational, apparently, without the proprietary software.

msiebold

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I didn't even uninstall it.
Just click, Options, Configuration, Virtual Drive, and set it to 0 (zero Virtual drives)

Where do I go to make the selection you made? Is it under the control panel?

suboxygen

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I uninstalled my PowerISO which was using virtual mounted drive for iso's as well.. instantly i got the installer to work.
thanks guys!

- washer

Status
Not open for further replies.