Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP Forgot Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop PASSWORD!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
September 3, 2010 1:04:30 AM

HI I have a Lenovo X60 Thinkpad, I forgot my password for the username cause I haven't used it in so long, now I can't log in.. How can I either Reformat it or hack into it??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2010 10:53:04 AM

Boot into Safe Mode and login as Administrator.
Score
September 3, 2010 5:12:30 PM

K, how please.
then how do I make it new? Like wipe the harddrive
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2010 5:15:09 PM

F8
Score
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2010 7:05:27 PM

kolkim said:
K, how please.
then how do I make it new? Like wipe the harddrive

No need for anything that extreme. When you're logged in as Administrator, you can go to Control Panel>User Accounts and delete the password in your own User Account.

Score
September 5, 2010 5:59:14 PM

I can't get into CMD, every time I click run as safe mode with command Prompt, i See the 'Safe Mode' on every corner but then it shows the Log In screen. This isnt a regular XP its like one of them School editions with a domain and stuff.
Score
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2010 6:20:59 PM

kolkim said:
I can't get into CMD, every time I click run as safe mode with command Prompt, i See the 'Safe Mode' on every corner but then it shows the Log In screen. This isnt a regular XP its like one of them School editions with a domain and stuff.

Sorry - no more help here then.

Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 5, 2010 7:35:24 PM

Just boot into Safe Mode, not Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Score
September 6, 2010 5:43:20 AM

kolkim said:

Do as Grumpy said. When the log-on screen appears, you may need to enter who is trying to log on. Enter Administrator and don't forget the "A" in Administrator must be capitalized.
Score
September 6, 2010 7:53:37 AM

All Windows XP computers have a special user account named "Administrator" and by default this account is not password protected. If you don't set password for the account or you remember its password, you can log on computer with the administrator account to perform Windows XP password reset.
Score
September 6, 2010 8:01:15 AM

If there is a password on this account and you forgot the password, I'm afraid you have to reinstall windows or use some third party software to create a password reset disk. At one time my friend forgot windows password. He created a windows password reset disk with a program named windows login recovery and successfully reset the forgotten password with the disk.
Score
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2010 8:05:07 AM

I'm beginning to think I misread the bit where the OP virtually admitted he's not entitled to the use of this machine and atht's why I said he'd get no more help from me. I suppose I also misread the part of the Forum Rules which says you aren't supposed to ask for password help.

I put this down to the confusion of old age. :??: 

Score
September 6, 2010 8:12:26 AM

If he can get in by typing "Administrator," then I consider it his machine. I disagree with post that include actual password cracking schemes.
Score
September 10, 2010 9:09:07 AM

It's ok saga people make mistakes, but you seem smart do you know any actual ways? I'm giving up trying to remember the password and I can't get to command prompt, my only hopes are a harddrive wipe or c millers widows login recovery. I don't have any spare windows xps if somebody suggested that.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2010 9:37:25 AM

Are you reading the complete thread? Boot into Safe Mode (not Safe Mode with command prompt) and try logging in as Administrator. You can change the User account password. If Administrator has a password, use http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Score
September 11, 2010 10:56:27 PM

I've tried safe mode with command, networking and regular safe mode and nothing seems to work
Score
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2010 11:02:46 AM

kolkim said:
I've tried safe mode with command, networking and regular safe mode and nothing seems to work

At what stage does it fail? Does it get to showing a logon screen then bounce back to BIOS? If that's happening, I'd suspect malware has screwed up the winlogonui. If, however, you're getting to the point where the Administrator logon shows and requires a password, there are few options left opther than Grumpy's hack site.

I'm not smart enough to know how to crack passwords but I might be smart enough to learn it if I wanted to but I always use a Linux system to rescue the data then format and reinstall when a customer brings me a system for this reason.

PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com isn't as precious as XP over Windows passwords and will givwe you access to Documents and Settings\{yourname}\*.* and even let you write it to anotjher NTFS drive.

Score

Best solution

September 13, 2010 4:45:00 AM

So long as it's open season on getting "how-to" programs...

Go
HERE and get #18. Burn ISO to CD and boot with it. It can do a system restore without running windows.

It also has a function listed as "Locksmith" that will remove any Windows logon passwords, giving you back access to your machine.

Actually, it does a lot of things, these are the two you may be immediately interested in.
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2010 6:16:54 AM

tigsounds said:
So long as it's open season on getting "how-to" programs...

[#0005ff]Seems to be, Tig and I'm beginning to break the habit of years at TSG being forbidden to mention the subject. I've even posted the verboten word "Hirens" over in the UK Forum Board without sofar feeling the boot of a moderator on my backside.

It's always been a sore point not being able to help folks who've genuinely forgotten a password while not assisting someone to hack another person's system.
[/#000ff]

Score
September 13, 2010 7:45:40 AM

Saga I actually cannot understand anything your saying. Are you against me or with me? :p 
Words I do not understand: Verboten, Hirens, boot of a moderator on my backside. And that last sentence
Score
September 13, 2010 7:48:15 AM

Thanks tigs, downloading now, Do I need to put it onto a CD or can I put it onto a USB? I'm pretty sure the USB way has alot more steps I heard.
Score
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2010 8:35:50 AM

kolkim said:
Saga I actually cannot understand anything your saying. Are you against me or with me? :p 
Words I do not understand: Verboten, Hirens, boot of a moderator on my backside. And that last sentence

I'm on your side and that's why I post in Tom's and other places. Hirens is a utility which saves a lot of time and messing around - I'm using it with the other hand now on a customer's screwed up system. Because it includes a stripped down version of XP which is said to be unlicenced by Microsoft, most Forums don't allow the very mention of its name. There are many more tools on the CD that M$ can't complain about

I take the view that it's Microsoft's fault that they fail to licence it - probably because they didn't think of it first - so I recommend it. I tried to find the view of Tom's Mods but haven't seen much clarification on that so I'm starting to post recommendations and if I get disciplined by eth Mods, I'll know where I stand.

Hirens can't help you with your problem though - hopefully Tig's latest offering will.

Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2010 11:43:42 AM

I've already posted the solution to the problem but the OP hasn't got a clue.
Score
September 13, 2010 3:01:45 PM

kolkim said:
Thanks tigs, downloading now, Do I need to put it onto a CD or can I put it onto a USB? I'm pretty sure the USB way has alot more steps I heard.

I actually said:
Quote:
Burn ISO to CD and boot with it.

And I said:
Quote:
giving you back access to your machine.

This is a repair utility, not a rouge copy of Windows.
Score
September 20, 2010 5:02:13 AM

Sorry thought I mentioned "the laptop doesn't have a cd drive, it's ok I gave it to this really computer savvy guy and he has an external DVD drive
Score
September 26, 2010 11:56:05 PM

Best answer selected by kolkim.
Score
September 27, 2010 4:25:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!