AMD 4400 X2 overheating 92 degreees!

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
One of my systems is running an AMD X2 4400+ X2 that is rated at 2.2Ghz with stock voltage, It's running on an Nforce 4 ultra MSI Motherboard. The Temperatures are very hot I've tried three programs Speedfan, Core temp and Hmonitor they all report similar reading. When my Computer is running Idle they all report roughly 36 Degrees C, but under load with Prime 95 the temps rocket as high as 92 Degree C, which is very worrying! I've checked my Heatsink and fan their not damaged and appear to be spinning correctly and I've even tried cleaning then re-applying some Thermal compound. If my Heatsink and fan are installed correctly, what would be causing such Hot readings?

Please help

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
just because you have the heatsink applied properly doesnt mean its a good one.

I have a 4200+ (virtually the same chip, just less L2 Cache) overclocked to 2.5 and it idles at 38-39C but will go up to 60-62C under a full Prime load.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I don't know how good it is, an Akasa something with heat pipes. It's been running in my system for over a year with no problems, the high temps have only just started recently.

sailer

Splendid
It hits 92c? Some thing's way wrong. Is this something that has been consistent through the past, or is it something new? I have a 939 X2 4400+ that's overclocked to a bit over 2.6ghz and it never gets above the 50s in heat, though I'm not using the factory heatsink with it. If you're running the stock heatsink, get a better one. Check the fans to make sure they are working correctly, both the heatsink fan and the case fans. If the air doesn't vent the case properly, it just sits and gets hot, thus making the heatsink of little use. Also check the voltage to the CPU. If its too high, the CPU can cook, though it doesn't sound like you've done anything to change the stock settings.

The last things I can think of are that either the motherboard is going bad and is giving the CPU too much current or the CPU is going bad. Nothing really points to either of these things, though.

I have the same CPU (OC'd to 2.42) and Mobo, MSI K8N Neo4 Ultra (non-sli). Using the stock HSF I idle at 36C and under load I get 48-52C. Since you just reapplied the HSF and thermal paste, I'd guess it's your case. Do the temps drop significantly if you take the side panel off your case? If so, you have a ventilation problem. Try adding more fans. and make sure your cabling isn't restricting air flow.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I've also got the X2 4400 and my temps were warm at one time but not nearly as bad as yours. I'm running the stock cooler and rarely see over 65 at full load. Both CPU-z and speedfan have voltage monitors so you might want to check those to see if you can confirm changes Sailor is talking about. It really sounds like your fan isn't working right. If you have fan speed monitoring capability on your mobo, keep an eye on that to see if it ramps up. Or at least watch and listen to the fan itself to see if it ramps up under load.

sailer

Splendid
Just remembered something that may or may not apply. A while ago someone had a heatsink fan that had reversed direction, so that it was blowing air away from the heatsink instead of across it. Reversing the wires got the fan to blow in the correct direction and the heat went down considerably. You might check the fan and make sure its blowing air in the proper direction. OK, its a wild idea, but at least its an idea.

coldwinter

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I have made another post about my 5000+BE, my situation is worse than you, I ran prime95 test and very soon the temp reached over 100C and the system shut down by itself. I have tried reseating the hsf 2 times but the problem persists. The hsf just couldn't keep the cpu temp under control under full load, the temp climbed from 40+ all the way to over 100 and if the system does not automatically shut down, it seems like the temp will keep going until something explode.

Could it be the very rare case that the CPU is just defective, or the hsf is really bad. I have read some review about my cooler master hsf and generally it receives good remark, so I suspect that either the CPU is just bad or the hsf I got is actually a counterfeit one.

sailer

Splendid

That is a possibility. If everything else checks out as good, then the CPU becomes suspect. But before condemning the CPU, I might try mounting a new fan on the heatsink, one that moves a lot of air. Even if it doesn't help at the moment and you end up replacing the CPU, it would provide better performance with the replacement CPU.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I have 4200+ x2 running at 2.42 (220x 11)GHz at 1.2V and 30C at idle and 42 C at full load with room temperature 25-26 C. Zalman 9500 heatsink fan at lowest speed and all case fans on 5v instead of 12v runningvery slowly. PC is very quite. As I am typing this it is runnig passware rar key recovery, IE, media player and usual background stuff like AV ect with CPU (both cores)usage 80-100% an temps CPU- 40C, SYS-34C, PWM-48. It might be that IHS has poor contact with cpu die. It is AMd so IHS is not soldered to die but has a thermal paste between them. If it is still uder warranty get CPU replaced. If not You can try to remove IHS and use CPU without it. I know I will when I will be ready for upgrade and will not worry about damaging CPU.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
speedbird..

if it just started recently and you have not changed your case, fans, cabling etc then this has to point to a problem with either how the mobo reports the temps or the heatsink. i would go get another heatsink like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

cheap, efficient and that way you can get a known good heatsink (don't start with this heatsink is better than that one. this is cheap and works, i make no claims its the best) for little money and eliminate a bad heatsink as your problems.

pat

Expert

Try to physically touch the cpu when that hot. Put something like cloth to protect your finger, and leave it warm your finger. If you can hold your finger on it, then either the contact between the cpu and the heat sink is bad and heat does not transfer to the sink fast enough. Like when too much thermal paste is applied...

Or, you sensor is not accurate.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
The Heatsink I'm currently using is an Aftermarket cooler that I had Installed about a year ago. I did keep the stock cooler that came with PC, so I gave it a try to see if it really is a heatsink issue, but unfortunately the nightmarish temperatures still remain. I'm out of Ideas and I'm sure it's not my PSU either because I tried the PSU out of my other PC just in case.

I'm starting to believe my CPU is done for and because it's 939 a replacement is rather limited.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
It seems Core Temp and Speed fan were both giving false readings. I burned my system with Prime 95 then turned off then quickly took the heatsink off and it was hot but nothing untouchable like boiling. I have now downloaded the utility Everest and found a handy MSI utility called 'PC alert 4' and both reported more acceptable believable temps. Much relief now :)

Thanks for all your help

Too bad Comp's guide isn't here any more :( . You need to calibrate SpeedFan to get accurate temps. Be warned, in general Everest reports lower temps than the actual temps.

@OP: If you have a thermometer why not try that?