Anyone heard of Thecus Dual DOM design?

ironlucifer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Anyone heard the Dual DOM design introduced by Thecus lately?
I'm curious about what's the purpose of DOM? How often does it fail?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I too was curious about what this "DOM" thing was as it sounded like too much marketing BS.
Then I found this

Dual DOM Supports for Dual Protection
The most advance and useful of N5500 is Dual DOM implemented. In the normal circumstance, it has no need to have this feature involved. But with irresistible cause like power cut or human error by accident occurred especially during system booting stage, this will become the great feature to prevent system down time.
Practically while it happened, system will try to recovery the DOM 1 from DOM 2 first. If it is unachievable then system can boot from DOM 2. And all of this procedure can be operated by LCM. NOTE The Dual DOM in DOM1 is default master and FW upgrading will only execute in DOM1 unlike DOM2 is ‘Read only” initially. Any circumstance occurred, while DOM2 successes recover DOM1. The FW will be version of DOM2. Therefore, it may need to upgrade to the version of DOM1 it has. If DOM1 can not be recovery from DOM2, then system will boot up from DOM2. The original configuration in DOM1 may need to setup again with DOM2 operation. 117

It sounds like DOM = Their custom NAS operating system stored in flash/firmware.