Sign in with
Your question

How to run Task Manager when System Hangs

Last response: in Windows XP
September 3, 2010 5:22:05 AM

I am running my comp on a pretty old configuration.
Pentium 4 processor
1 GB Ram
512 MB Nvdia Geforce 8600GT

My system hangs quite frequently.Mainly because of apps like Google Desktop and Firefox.Once the system hangs I am totally helpless since I cannot access the Task Manager.So is there any way to open Task Manager when system hangs.Some setting to reserve some space in CPU to run the Task Manager even when system hangs.I am ready to compromise my overall CPU performance but I need solution for this problem.
September 3, 2010 3:27:49 PM

If you can't run Task Manager then there is not much you can do unfortunately.
Check the Windows eventlogs (Start-Run-eventvwr) and post any errors you see
m
l
September 3, 2010 7:07:27 PM

vzzv said:
I am running my comp on a pretty old configuration.
Pentium 4 processor
1 GB Ram
512 MB Nvdia Geforce 8600GT

My system hangs quite frequently.Mainly because of apps like Google Desktop and Firefox.Once the system hangs I am totally helpless since I cannot access the Task Manager.So is there any way to open Task Manager when system hangs.Some setting to reserve some space in CPU to run the Task Manager even when system hangs.I am ready to compromise my overall CPU performance but I need solution for this problem.

How long is a hang? Some people declare the system permanently hung after fifty seconds whereas a more realistic time to wait might be ten minutes. Try Control Shift and Escape if the mouse is hanging and won't respond.

m
l
September 4, 2010 3:41:50 AM

Well I donno if it hangs for 10 mins or so But I usually give up around 5min mark.I try to do ctrl-alt-del nothing comes up,then I do alt-F4 still nothing happens I donno what to do after that so just wait and eventually just switch off the supply.

I have found a temporary solution.I put task manager as realtime priority and other apps like firefox etc on low priority.That way system does not hang.But the process is a bit hard and there is always a chance that I may forget about it .So is there a better method?
m
l
!