How Important is After-Market GFX heatsink?

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I have a eVGA 8800GT Superclocked (lifetime warranty) ...I am not sure how much I can OC this...or even if it would be a good idea. On load I max out at around 72C - i think.

I am upgrading my PC, and was wondering if I should buy an after-market Heatsink for the GFX card...and maybe try to OC it...or even maybe just leave it as is...and just make it run cooler....

I know like CPU aftermarket Heatsinks are like a must have....and almost everyone here has one...but what you think about GFX aftermarket heatsinks?

So, what do you guys recommend? and if you think I should get one...which one?

Asian PingPong

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
72c for a gpu is safe.
I am assuming you are running at the default fan speed of 36%? You should be able to overclock it and maintain the same temps if you bump up the fan speed also, but it will be louder. If you want it to be silent and overclocked, get an aftermarket. If you don't care, just use the stock cooler and bump up the fan speed.

OCing and replacing the heatsink probably removes your nice lifetime warranty. You should think about that before you OC or get a new HSF. In the case of the 8800gt, it could probably use a good new heatsink. I haven't purchased a heatsink for a GPU in a while, but the thermalright hr-03 gets a lot of good reviews. Take a looksee at that guy.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
- I have one of the first 8800GT's - so its heatsink it like...not that great
- My fans are already set at 60%...
- If removing the heatsink causes me to lose warrrenty...that I dont want to do it...i rather have warrenty.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I definitely wouldn't bother. Your card is already overclocked and the minimal gain in performance you would see wouldn't be worth the money, time, and effort, IMO.