Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Broken down AMD guy...

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 6, 2008 7:39:44 PM

So I love my 5000+BE and all, but I keep reading reviews about the new E7200 and how well it OCs... and well.. I get to thinking... and thinking is bad when you have a perfectly good computer as it is..

Is 3.8 easily attainable? Will it do it on the stock heatsink? If I paired it with an EVGA 750i Mobo, Can I keep the DDR2800 Ive got now, or should I buy 1066?

More about : broken amd guy

June 6, 2008 7:47:41 PM

depends the board and how lucky you are getting a good batch, if u unlucky and get a bad batch, you will need lots of voltage to OC...
June 6, 2008 7:49:57 PM

I guess this is true to an extent. I got lucky with my 5000+BE, Ive gotten it up to 3.3 before I had issues, and Ive heard of others not being able to get it past 2.9.
Related resources
June 6, 2008 7:55:01 PM

I'm not sure it could do 3.8GHz on the stock heatsink. I could see maybe 3.1 on the stock heatsink, the biggest factor is if you'll have to bump up vcore to get to 3.8GHz. Anyhow, this is probably one of those rare times where I would recommend an aftermarket heatsink to attain that overclock.
June 6, 2008 8:19:31 PM

Yeah, Im using a Freezer 64 Pro on my AMD setup.. I wonder how well the Freezer 7 works.
June 6, 2008 8:55:00 PM

Yeah, I have my eye on the e7200 also. And I am trying to justify why it would be that much better than my e2180 OC'd at 3.2 GHz. Upgrading a perfectly good computer is a dangerous thing...


You will NOT have to buy new RAM. The 7200 has a high 9.5 multiplier, so 9.5 x 400 = 3.8 GHz. At 400 MHz, your RAM will run 1:1.

From what I read, joefriday is right: can't go much over 3.0 or so on an OC without buying an aftermarket cooler. People seem to love pairing the new 45 nm processors with the Arctic Cooler Pro 7, which can be caught on sale with shipping for $26--small price to pay for peace of mind.

There will be AMD people willing to buy your existing gear, so you should plan on at least getting some $$$ for your CPU, cooler, and Mobo.

Good luck!
June 6, 2008 8:59:49 PM

theres not that much difference in performace with dual core cpu's

i would not swap any dual core amd clocked at 3ghz+ for a few mghz unless u need it for some reasons - ie your gpu is being held back
June 6, 2008 9:31:05 PM

as a fellow broken hearted amd'r, let me just say to you...
i feel your pain, brother.
welcome to where its always blue, blue blues....
at least, it is in your wallet!
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2008 10:57:43 PM

Quote:
If I paired it with an EVGA 750i Mobo, Can I keep the DDR2 800 Ive got now, or should I buy 1066?

The 750i chipset is not a very good OCing platform. Consider P35/X38 or 780i for OCing.
June 6, 2008 11:41:16 PM

dario77 said:
as a fellow broken hearted amd'r, let me just say to you...
i feel your pain, brother.
welcome to where its always blue, blue blues....
at least, it is in your wallet!

So true. I told myself I would support AMD by buying their products, no matter how much worse they are than intel.
I changed my mind hearing about Nehalem, if they don't have anything near as good as Nehalem when its out I think I will find myself switching over to the less user friendly dark-side.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 7, 2008 12:32:33 AM

doomturkey said:
So true. I told myself I would support AMD by buying their products, no matter how much worse they are than intel.
I changed my mind hearing about Nehalem, if they don't have anything near as good as Nehalem when its out I think I will find myself switching over to the less user friendly dark-side.


a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 7, 2008 12:48:20 AM

I'm glad I could cheer you up. :) 
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 7, 2008 1:13:36 AM

dragonsprayer said:
theres not that much difference in performace with dual core cpu's

i would not swap any dual core amd clocked at 3ghz+ for a few mghz unless u need it for some reasons - ie your gpu is being held back


Same here. It sounds like a waste to me, buying a new CPU and a new motherboard when the old CPU is still pretty good. My Dad has an AMD 5000+ and I can see how it works. My Q6600 beats it soundly in video encoding, but apart from that the differences are not really noticeable.

Maybe your money would be better spent on a more powerful video card. What do you have now? Do you play games?
June 7, 2008 5:44:08 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
If I paired it with an EVGA 750i Mobo, Can I keep the DDR2 800 Ive got now, or should I buy 1066?

The 750i chipset is not a very good OCing platform. Consider P35/X38 or 780i for OCing.



I was looking at a DFI X38 mobo, a 780i is just a bit too much for me. (Although the DFI Lanparty X48 is only $224...)

Im running a 9800GTX right now.

The way my situation is, I could get the E7200, and a mobo up to $200 and Memory all for about $150 out of pocket because a friend wants to buy my 5000BE, memory, mobo and heatsink.

Another reason why, is the upgrade future for AMD doesnt look too bright, the Phenoms just arent that good..
June 7, 2008 10:00:54 AM

Well, Im lookin at the E8400 now and this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R. (I like DFI, and its an X38 NB with two x16 PCI-E slots)

Im thinking this setup would be quite a bit faster than my NF570 and my Athlon 64-X2 5000+BE

Would I have to reformat and reinstall windows?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 7, 2008 11:01:37 AM

Shaihalud9 said:
Well, Im lookin at the E8400 now and this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R. (I like DFI, and its an X38 NB with two x16 PCI-E slots)

Im thinking this setup would be quite a bit faster than my NF570 and my Athlon 64-X2 5000+BE

Would I have to reformat and reinstall windows?

[:mousemonkey:2] You might notice a slight increase in performance :sarcastic:  :lol:  , and yes you will have to reinstall windows.
June 7, 2008 1:40:43 PM

Just because a CPU doesn't win every benchmark, does not mean it's bad. If your current setup does what you want, is it really worth it?
June 7, 2008 4:30:26 PM

doomturkey said:
So true. I told myself I would support AMD by buying their products, no matter how much worse they are than intel.
I changed my mind hearing about Nehalem, if they don't have anything near as good as Nehalem when its out I think I will find myself switching over to the less user friendly dark-side.


as i said before...intel is not "the dark side"...they're not darth vader or dick cheney...
they're the who*e of babylon....and her nehalem dance seduced me.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2008 6:01:36 PM

If on a budget get the P35-DS3L. What is your budget btw?
June 7, 2008 6:34:33 PM

speedbird said:
Just because a CPU doesn't win every benchmark, does not mean it's bad. If your current setup does what you want, is it really worth it?


1. I know 3dMark isnt a "true" benchmark and it doesnt really matter, but with my 9800GTX running at native resolution (1280x1024) and no AA/AF I got a score of 8000, that was a bit depressing. Stupid.. I know, but still.

2. What is my upgrade path? The phenoms are just not that great a chip. Is the next gen AMD chip going to support AM2/AM2+?

3. As I said before, my friend wants to buy my current mobo/cpu/memory, so I would be getting these parts for very little cost. For the performance I would get vs. the money Id spend, I would be dumb not to, methinks. (4ghz on air cooling... I mean.. holy crap)
June 7, 2008 6:35:49 PM

Shadow703793 said:
If on a budget get the P35-DS3L. What is your budget btw?


My budget will be Up to $200 for a Mobo and up to $200 for a CPU, I can get 2gb of DDR2-800 for like $44.
June 7, 2008 7:23:56 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Quote:
If I paired it with an EVGA 750i Mobo, Can I keep the DDR2 800 Ive got now, or should I buy 1066?

The 750i chipset is not a very good OCing platform. Consider P35/X38 or 780i for OCing.



HardOCP has done well with the 750i evga board (I bought it largely based on their review) - but they also watercool all their systems when they overclock.

I only run my e8400 at 3.6, but I think thats really more than enough :p 
June 8, 2008 1:16:04 PM

If you have a 200 budget on CPU i'd get the 8200 instead.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 8, 2008 2:22:45 PM

bump
June 8, 2008 7:18:30 PM

The E8400 is $189 on the Egg. Why would I get the 8200?
June 8, 2008 7:29:48 PM

mild overclocks are okay with the stock sometimes if you are lucky. For overclocking its is preferred to get another cpu cooler either the TRUE or the xigametek (however you spell it).
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2008 7:34:42 PM

^+1 for HSF.
!