i'm building a computer and have 2 sata cddvd drives

fuzz8us

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
when hooking up 2 cddvd drives sata do I need to make one master and the other one slave also do i use seperate sata ports or the same one. Also then while at it would you put 2 darddrives in I have a 500 and a 250GB that are both sata I have plenty sata ports or do you think it's worth it
Thank You
Fuzz8us

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
There is no master or slave in SATA. Just plug them in. Kind of funny that you neglected to post the type of mobo. Don't you think it would have been helpful?

Put the drives on the southbridge what ever one that might be. leave the add-on SATA ports alone e.g., purple gigabyte SATA etc.

It doesn't really matter what order, but I would put the main bootable drive in the first SATA port (lowest number either 0 or 1) next the second HD and then the two DVDs. Set the SATA ports to IDE not AHCI or RAID. AHCI doesn't really offer anything except hot swap NCQ and RAID and can increase aggravation.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The only thing to clarify is to connect to the black SATA ports 0, 1, 2 & 3 not the blue Marvel SATA ports and obviously not the red eSATA port. Other than that the instructions are complete.

TRENDING THREADS