unable to map drives, "MS Windows Network" Icon missing

the_owl

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hi, I have a Windows Xp Pro Machine SP3 that doesnt display the "Microsoft Windows Network" link, And cant map Drives. This has been a problem almost since the machine was new.
I have tried to reinstall client for MS, removed and readded tcp/ip protocal and just about every trick I could find on google.
From my network places, "Microsoft Windows Network is missing, the "view workgroup computers" icon gives a windows fail sound when I click it.
I can ping and remote to any pc on the network, however I cant map drives or browse any pC, including this one.
Windows firewall is off, no Anti-Virus installed although there was a Trend Micro install that never uninstalled correctly. I thought the TMProxy service had killed something, so I removed every instance I could find in the registry.
There are definitely shares on the network that are accessible from any other computer on the same Workgroup. Its just this machine that cant connect to other PCs

Attached is a few screenshots put together is one pic

Any Ideas what could cause this or fix it?

thanks for the help
Al

Untitled.jpg

SizroSpunkmire

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Can you map to that location on any other computer using that path?

Try:

\\10.0.0.187\c$

\\10.0.0.187\local

\\10.0.0.187\10.0.0.187share <----- odd share name to be honest

the_owl

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yes I can map to that PC from any other PC on the network.

The PC that isnt able to map drives also cant map to ANY other ip on the network. ie 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.131 etc.
the existing shared folders in "my network places" is kind of odd. They also are able to be opened by just clicking on them. Al though that particular ip has more shares than just those two

Untitled-2.jpg

thanks
A

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
have a quick look in the services window (via control panel - admin tools) check that these services are running

Computer Browser
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call
Server
Windows Firewall/ICS
Workstation

also might want to check that file sharing is enabled (try creating a new share on the system, plus check the connection properties and make sure file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is ticked) and allowed by the firewall (has its own tick box on the windows firewall window)

TRENDING THREADS