would my RAMs with different speed work?

hwontherun

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hi there,

I have a HP compaq evo d530s p4 2.8Ghz. I have given two RAMs with two different speeds.

512MB DDR PC2700U double sided 16 chips (Model- Samsung)- The one i already have
512MB DDR400(2.5) double sides 16 cips (Model - AData)

My retailer told me that the "AData" memory stick has a higher speed that the samsung!
will those RAMs work together?

cheers

No, it won't hurt the MB. If the system boots up when you add the second DIMM to the one you have in there, the RAM speed will default to PC2700 333MHz. in BIOS and the system will run that way. The PC3200 DIMM is backwards compatible to run at the lower PC2700 333Mhz. So, if the system boots up and runs you will increae your system RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB, but at the PC2700 speed. You may have to go in BIOS and bump up the voltage. You could even adjust the RAM frequency upward from it's default speed of 333MHz. When you add the second DIMM, the system may not boot up. That's about all that would happen. No damage though. If that happens use the 1 DIMM you had in there and go into BIOS and try increasing the voltage to the RAM if possible. HTH.

hwontherun

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Quick check: I dont know about increasing this voltage thing.
Do i have to increase teh voltage or does the BIOS automatically do it for me?

If i dont increase the voltage what sort of damage it going to cuase to the RAM and mainboard?

If i need to increase the voltage, to what voltage should i increase it to?

Should i add the second RAM of PC3200 to DIMM slot - 1 or slot 2?

cheers

Quick check: I dont know about increasing this voltage thing.
Do i have to increase teh voltage or does the BIOS automatically do it for me?
The PC3200 will require a little more voltage to run than the PC2700. But you may be Ok just installing it and running it without system crashes, etc. BIOS will run at a default voltage, probally 2.5v or so. DDR 400 MHz. requires generally 2.5-2.6v., DDR 333Mhz. a little less. RAM voltage either runs at BIOS default or has manual adjustment to increase voltage. Your system may have no adjustments and you are forced to run at default. This is one reason there is no guarantee the RAM will work in your system,.

If i dont increase the voltage what sort of damage it going to cuase to the RAM and mainboard?

You are not going to do any damage to the to the mainboard by installing a 512 Mb DIMM of PC3200.

If i need to increase the voltage, to what voltage should i increase it to?

Forget about increasing the voltage. Just install the new DIMM along with the original DIMM and see if the system runs. Instructions for instaling a DIMM are in the manual for you system/MB. PC3200 default voltage is 2.5v, I believe. Doesn't matter, your MB probably doesn' even have a RAM voltage adjustment. Please list your system specs BTW. MB, CPU, etc.

Should i add the second RAM of PC3200 to DIMM slot - 1 or slot 2?

Leave the original DIMM in the slot it is currently working in. Add the new 512 PC3200 DIMM to it.