Going to OC for the first time - Some questions

tokih

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hi,

I've decided to try to pump some more juice out of my system, starting with the CPU. What I've got here is a Q6600 Kentsfield with G0 stepping. Under normal desktop use (multiple windows, tabs, nothing specual really), Core Temp gives me about 45 celcius for each core. I'm cooling it with CoolerMaster Hyper TX 2. Is this near normal level of temperature or should I ready myself for some precautions before throwing away my OC virginity? What I'm aiming at is..a humble 3.0GHz I'd say.

Q6600
EVGA 750i FTW
8GB 800MHz OCZ Reaper at 6-6-6-18 for some reason :F

tokih

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Ok read it. Thanks. I've always lived under the assumption of 1:1 divider being the sweet spot. Should I ever want to accomplish that, a realistic goal could perhaps be 8x400? Or does it make more sense to smile wide with 7x400?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well the goal should be to set your vcore to specs and work up your cpu (without overclocking your ram) and see how far you can push it without overvolting. Then lower your multi and work up your ram and see what it will do. Then you will know exactly what YOUR system is capable of.

OR, you can go the other way and set your system at min specs/voltages and slowly work up only raising voltages when needed. The choice is yours, just make sure to monitor your temps and test after making changes.

Your goal is to get an OC that's stable with the lowest voltage/heat you can.

Either way it takes a little time but is rewarding in the end. Good luck and have fun.

tokih

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
So tonight I actually did it.. Tried overclocking the first time. I was feeling brave, so thinking back an article I read earlier, I set Vcore to 1.25v and VTT to 1.30v, then upped the FSB:

9x333MHz
FSB:RAM = 1:1
Loose timings (6-6-6-18)

I've been running Prime95 now for 1½ hour. I know it's not that long, but seems to me I'm off to a promising start :) Temperatures reached 62 degrees max according to CoreTemp. It seems that Core #2 runs about 3-4 degrees cooler than the others (other stay quite well within the reach of one degree from each others).