System lock up in Normal mode...

Hey all.
I have Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate. It has been fine for a month, and all of a sudden I have an Issue.
I have a SeaGate 500.1GB 3.0Gb/s HDD and when I boot up in normal mode it will go to the desktop and the hard drive will then give an excessive amount of clicking *the read/write arm moving back and forth is my guess, and by excess, I mean more than it did previously* and then it freezes up. I cannot ctrl+alt+del, I can't move the mouse, nothing, then I manually reboot the system, run in safe mode w/ networking and It can run all day long, even so much as to let me on the internet and make this post.

Also something to note, Vista did a Hard drive check, searching through the files for bad or corrupt data.
It reported no corrupted or bad files, but there was a lot of about half a dozen files it 'Orphaned' from other files. Do I simply need to find the Vista disc and do an OS repair? Thanks in advance for the reply!

Jorgey
2 answers Last reply
More about system lock normal mode
  1. First off, back up all your data now.

Your hard disk is failing, if you're actually hearing clicking. Is it still under warranty? If so, you can probably get a replacement, reinstall the OS, and you're set!
  2. Alright thanks. I was afraid of that, but it should be under warranty, I received this HDD so recently : /
    Anyway, off to do the old 7 hours of software marathon reinstalls. Thank you again maniac :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows Vista Storage