TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Okay, I recently ordered some parts to add to my old home built computer. I ordered a new case because my old one was cramped and had air flow issues. I also ordered a sound card (Asus Xonar), a new motherboard (needed PCIE 1x for sound card), and a fan controller.
Now, I hooked up everything and put it into the new case and when I attempted to power on it wouldn't. No big deal, it's not the first time that something didn't start up right away, I've forgotten to plug in the power several times :sarcastic:

So, I looked around, found nothing out of place and tried again. Still didn't start. I started removing components and adding components back trying to find the faulty part. Nothing appeared to help. So, I just put everything back in and said I'd just deal with it later. But on an odd chance it'd work I tried it again. Sure enough, this time when I hit power it worked. :eek: Okay, cool. So I noticed that my keyboard and 2 of the 6 fans weren't working. So I powered down and checked the wiring to the fans and such, and replugged the keyboard. Now it didn't want to start up again.

Today, I took everything out of the case and layed it out so I could work with it easier. I have just the sound card, video card, 1 HDD and both sticks of ram in. It powered on once, but was emitting a loud beep sound. I wasn't sure why it was doing it so I shut it down and checked over everything again. Now I'm back where I began, nothing is working.

I've searched the net looking for possible solutions, but I can't find any that work. Do any of you have an suggestions?

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
If it was a RAM problem, it would still at least turn on. Sounds to me like a PSU problem. Could you please post your full system specifications including details of PSU. Can't really comment on what the exact problem is until I know that.

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Found the problem earlier, a wire had come loose in one of the connectors. That's fixed and it powers on every time now. I will go ahead and list the power supply specs, because I now have a new problem.

500 watt power supply.

+3.3V - 28A
+5V - 30A
+12V - 34A
-5V - 0.3A
-12V - 0.8A

New issue now. It powers on, but will not go past the BIOS screen. After fixing the wire, the system booted all the way into windows and it began installing new hardware (generic drivers) and such. I shut down the system and plugged in the fans and fan controller. It then began only powering up to the BIOS screen and going no further. I'd like to be able to see what was going on, but it has one of those startup screens and I can't get into the bios to turn it off so I can see what part of the boot it freezes on.

EDIT: Forgot to post the rest of my specs

AMD X2 4600+ (S939)
MSI K8N Neo 4H motherboard
2 GB ram
Asus Xonar sound card
Nvidia 8800GT vid card
2 HDDs, 7200rpm 200gb and 5400rpm 30gb
1 CD/DVD burner
1 CD/DVD drive
1 fan controller with 4 -140mms and 3 120mms

EDIT 2:

I connected the "D-Bracket" that came with my motherboard. It is supposed to help you find out what is wrong with the system. Well, the first time it started up, it stopped on the Memory detection test. I reseated the memory and tested different sticks. Nothing helped. But on each restart after the initial one, it froze in the System Power ON position. Book says this means the processor is damaged or not properly installed. So, I removed the cpu, cleaned it, reapplied the thermal paste and reseated it into the socket. Still hanging on System Power ON position.

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Could you tell me the manufacturer of your power supply.
Have you tried booting up with only one stick of RAM installed?
Also can you do some sort of CMOS reset on your board that resets the BIOS settings?
Sounds to me like your previous power issue could have damaged part of your system, or the PSU itself is actually faulty.