HELP-my computer will not start, and it's right before finals week!

brentfire

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
So my computer has this problem where it will not start after it is unplugged before powering down...I live in the dorms, and they are forcing us to clean our rooms, and set them back to a certain layout, and in the process, I accidentally hit the off button on my power strip, which my computer was plugged into. after I finished cleaning my room, and plugging everything in, the computer would not start. now, this has happened before, but it has always been quickly resolved by unplugging the computer, and all the peripherals, and turning it back on...however, this time, it won't turn back on. I have tried all the classic fixes: unplugging everything except 1 stick of memory, and a HDD, and it still wouldn't turn on. the computer is definitely getting power...the power strip works, and the mobo power light is on. every component in the computer is < 1 yr old, and it has never had any problems except for this...I am a CS major, and need my computer during finals week...Can someone please help me? I can't figure out what is happening...

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

If you have access to one I would atleast attempt plugging in a new power supply and see if it that is the problem. Does anything happen at all when you turn the power on (as in does it power on, but nuthin comes on the screen? or does it power on then shut off? or just it just lay dormant?) Please list all of the specs of your comp so we can better know what we are lookin at here.

Best,

3Ball

brentfire

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Nothing happens when I press the power button...no fans go on, nothing...but the motherboard says it is getting power. I have also tried reconnecting the case connections, and nothing works there, either. unfortunately, I don't have access to a spare power supply, either...

the specs of my computer are:

XFX nForce 680i LT SLi Motherboard
XFX nVidia 7900GS
4 GB RAM (patriot corsair, and crucial ballistix)
Intel Core2Duo 2.2 GHZ processor,
Antec TruePower Trio 650W power supply,
Antec Case
ASUS heatsink
2 Western Digital HDDs
Sony DVD-R/RW

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Hmm...well a couple of different things here. Have you tried using the jumper on the motherboard to reset everything and/or removing the battery for the bios and putting it back in. I would try both (individually) if you have not and see if that helps. If that does not work it is my assumption that the problem lies in one of 2 things. Either the power supply or motherboard has been fried. Hopefully this will help.

Best,

3Ball

brentfire

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
i've already tried both unfortunately...good thing I bought the mobo from newegg...yay for RMA's !!! unfortunately, I bought the power supply from best buy, and antec's warranties don't cover normal wear and tear...