Search on D: and get E:

Why is that when I search a CD in my CD drive D: for "viewex" (an MFC sample
program) it finds it on E:, which is my Windows XP drive? Specifically:
E:\Documents and Settings\dwhite\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Samples
A look in the "CD Burning" directory in an explorer shows that there is
nothing actually there, and if I try to copy something "found" there in the
search results it asks me to put in the CD if I've previously removed it.
Wouldn't it be simpler and make more sense for the search results to say
that it found the files in D:\Samples, since that is not only where I asked
it to search, but also where they actually are? How do I get it to do this?

Thanks.

David
2 answers Last reply
More about search

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:03:52 +1000, David White wrote:

    > Why is that when I search a CD in my CD drive D: for "viewex" (an MFC sample
    > program) it finds it on E:, which is my Windows XP drive? Specifically:
    > E:\Documents and Settings\dwhite\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Samples
    > A look in the "CD Burning" directory in an explorer shows that there is
    > nothing actually there, and if I try to copy something "found" there in the
    > search results it asks me to put in the CD if I've previously removed it.
    > Wouldn't it be simpler and make more sense for the search results to say
    > that it found the files in D:\Samples, since that is not only where I asked
    > it to search, but also where they actually are? How do I get it to do this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > David

    Apparently a bug. Workaround described here:

    Files are displayed in the staging folder when you search a CD-RW drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325218

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon F wrote:
    > Apparently a bug. Workaround described here:
    >
    > Files are displayed in the staging folder when you search a CD-RW
    > drive http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325218

    Okay, that explains it. Thanks.

    David

Burner CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP