AMD Athlon 64x2 4000 OC CPU/ CPU Core Temp??? Help Please

g3ballistics

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Hey Guys,

I just OC my Athlon 64x2 4000 Brisbane from 2100 now to 2527.. question is my temp reading confuses me, I have everest corporate edition, HWmonitor and SIW. Which one is more reliable???? also what does "THRM" means????

reading from SIW

THRM 55 C

CPU core 0: 29 C
CPU core 1: 30 C

Thanks guys!!

PS: MODZ, I'm a newbie in this forum so if any thread existed before please delete this one

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
THRM could be short for thermistor, which is a type of thermometer...in this context it could be anything, from a hardwired diode somewhere on the mobo or a flexible 2-lead wire you plug into the mobo like you would a fan header and then stick the thin plastic end of the wire where you want the temperature taken, like a 24/7 probe. I have a thermistor wire on my mobo and it's pretty handy...I stick it in between my RAM sticks, neat eh?

It just might be shorthand for thermometer and be the CPU temps reported to the BIOS by the on-board mobo sensor.

You can generally rely on core temps as being actual, close to reality, on chip temps...meaning if core readings are consistently high, something is wrong. Other named probes could be anything and report meaningless data.

The only way you can tell if the numbers mean anything useful is to watch the ones that match ambient temperature the instant you turn your PC on, and then slowly (or not so slowly) climb. Those ones are probably reliable and you need to figure out just where they are.

g3ballistics

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
to bf2gameplaya, thanks dude! now I know.. Actually my core temps never exceeded more than 30C (both core) on O'Ced AMD 64x2 4000 and what really odds me is the "Thermistor" idle is 35-40C then suddenly it will reach 59C (at full load) By the way my mobo is emaxx MCP61P-AVL, would you know where is that "thermistor"

Thanks again

I've never even heard of emaxx before. Anyway it may be a sensor below the socket itself, who knows. If it's from your northbridge or something make sure you lowered your HT multiplier so you don't run that too high, as the default should be 5*FSB assuming thats a 1GHz HT board so you don't wanna really run it over 1GHz. The most important temps are your CPU cores. Looks to me like you still have room to overclock it. You should be fine as long as you don't get too close to 60C on the CPU cores or run the vcore too high.

g3ballistics

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Thanks megamanx, just tried to OC again but blue screen appears. When i rebooted orthos signaling error. I cant find the HT multiplier on my mobo so i just stayed at 2528 instead of 2600++ then I ran orthos for about 40 minutes then no error appeared, BTW my mem is 2 x 1gb ddr2 667, should I upgrade to 800?

Thanks in advance

jcv

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
im using asrock NF520, X2 4000+ and 1x2 gb ddr2 800 dual channel memory, i've reached 2.85ghz with a temp of 38 celcius....

fsb - 270
multiplier -10.5
memory - 667mhz
timing - 5-5-5-15 (stock)
ht NB link - 800mhz
memory volt. - 1.85v
cpu volt. - 1.3v