Rebuild will not restart

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I helped a freind put together a computer yesterday with some parts from other rebuilds. Everything runs fine except it will not restart. You can turn it off from Windows ok, but if you hit restart it acts like it is trying to but there is no video signal just a black screen. You have to switch the power off, then you can turn the power on and push the power button and it will boot up to Windows Vista 64 bit ok. If you are installing a program and the program wants to reboot it does the same thing. I had a hard and long time getting Vista loaded with this problem. But Vista is working fine. I have not had this problem before and would appreciate any help from you that I can get.

CPU: P4 3.2Ghz Dual Core
MB: ECS P4M 900T-M
Ram: 2GB PQI DDR2 667Mhz (2x1GB)
Video: ATI X1300 Pro
HDD: Maxtor 160GB & 80GB secondary
ODD: Sony DRU-800 & DRU-710 secondary
PSU: Ultra X-Finity 500W

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Step 1 drop that Ultra PSU off a cliff (seriously) step 2 do a BIOS flash, reboot, then clear CMOS. However before all of this, get a new PSU (even Rosewill is a better choice than Ultra)

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Swapped power supply and no change. Cleared CMOS and started computer and went into BIOS and set defaults F10 to save and exit all good until I enter windows and try to restart then it just hangs with black screen. Turned power off and back on and booted up. If I go into BIOS again to change something and hit F10 it will not reboot. Have to power off then start again for it to boot up. Have emailed ECS Tech Support about problem. Tried to Flash BIOS but with no success.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
akhilles;
Tried a fresh install of XP and after windows loads the files and the screen says your computer will reboot in 15 seconds it goes off and comes back to a black screen. Then I have to push the reset button to get it to reboot and it will come back up and finish loading windows. After windows is loaded it will not restart. You have to turn it off or push the reset button to get it to restart. Don't know what to do next. Any other suggestions, anyone!!

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Have double checked wiring and also checked for any wiring, pins, or burnt spots on the MB and nothing seems to be out of place. Will try to flash BIOS with USB flash drive and see if I can upgrade the BIOS or at least know that I have a good BIOS.

Thx's