Sign in with
Your question

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb

Last response: in Storage
July 24, 2009 2:22:16 AM

last night hard drive was working fine, turned the computer on this morning bios doesn't recognize hard drive and will not spin, seems to not get power. other SATA devices work fine just not hard drive. please help I have a lot of torrents saved, don't want to loose files.
a b G Storage
July 24, 2009 3:36:42 AM

Can you try using the SATA cables you've used for the other drives? On a different port? It could just be a problem with SATA cable or port you use to hook up the drive.
July 24, 2009 4:46:38 AM

I've already tried that, my friend that built the computer for me hooked it up to his computer and it's still not recognizing the drive. For some reason it's just not getting power, we've tried different cables and sata ports, still nothing. He is planning on removing the controller and swapping it out to see if that is the problem, I hope it is because I don't want to lose any of the data that I have on the drive.
Related resources
September 19, 2009 7:49:50 PM

I've got the same problem here, I have the same HDD as you, it was working fine 2 days ago but now It sometimes works and most of the time doesn't!

Anyone know a solution for it?

I tried changing MBs , BIOS version , SATA power and Data cables, None fixed the problem
September 19, 2009 11:07:24 PM

I had the same hard drive. Apparently those drives have some firmware issue and you have to send it to Seagate so they can update your firmware or some ridiculous *** like that. I bought a western digital and now this one is going bad too :/ . man are there any good hard drives these days?
!