What temps can I expect from a Zalman9700?

Sephiroth07za

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I will be buying a cpu cooler soon and would like to now on about what temperatures I will be running with the Zalman 9700..

I've got:

AMD Athlon x2 6000 ;)
Asus M2N SLI Deluxe :p
RaidMax Ninja Gaming Case :D

Thanx :sol:

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Uh ... good. Really depends a lot on your cable management and case fans as well.

I use a zalman 9700 but I use a e8400 intel, not an AMD x2. Regardless, i'm happy with it.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
raidmax ninja gaming case is decent, but it has no top exhaust fan (antec 900=200mm huge mother of god exhaust fan above your cpu.)

that case also only has the 1 side mounted intake fan, no front intake fans because of the HD bays I guess.

Its not tooo bad of a case, but its probably not an overclocking case eh.

Does your PSU have a fan on the bottom to pull air away from your CPU? that helps a bit in that type of top mounted PSU design

G

sephiroth... only people who have the zalman 9700 can answer... and people who don't still peak in to see what kind of questions you ask... so stop whining...

Sephiroth07za

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Yeah it does, I love the look of the case but I do agree that the cooling could have been done better as well as the drive bays. It has only got mounts for 3 fans, and I'm running 5 :)

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
You could google 'zalman 9700 review' and check if its good. I wanted to get one but the guys recommended some better ones for me. The 9700 still looks the best to me.

Here is a good example of what the 9700 can do. I have a Q6600 OCed to 3GHz. It runs at about 32c when its 80 in my house and when under 100% (Prime95) load on all 4 cores it may hit 55c.

So for yours it will keep it vey cool and happy.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I use a Zalman 9700. But I use it with a Phenom 9850.

In a room at 22C (72F) it runs about 32C-34C at idle and at full load it goes all the way up to about 53C at the max peak. (NOTE: max temp is about the same at stock and overclocked to 2.8Ghz-2.9Ghz. The Zalman does a good enough job that you don't see a lot of difference. As it should.)

Of course that's with a sloppy arctic silver application. After messing around with comparing benchmarks of a X2-4800+ and the Phenom CPU, both at 2.5Ghz, I didn't completely clean and reapply the arctic silver the last time I swapped the CPUs. So the temps would probably go down a few degrees if I cleaned and reapplied.

When running the X2-4800+ the temperatures were in the same ballpark. I didn't really pay too much attention since I didn't overclock the 4800. (Just like I won't pay attention to the temperature after I get done playing around with overclocking the Phenom and just put it back to stock for normal use.)

G

^ sorry i'm complaining about complaining.. the height of hypocritical-ness

=D

Sephiroth07za

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Okay awsum, Thanx to all you guys for the advice!!!

I'll be sure to get some of that Arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

I'll post again when I get it.
Take care, and again thanx

O, en ons moet die engelse mense so bietjie Afrikaans leer, VIVA!!! //for the fellow RSA countryman

You know, I used the Zalman Thermal grease as it had a brush applicator and was easy to use. And I got those temps posted above. I guess AS5 would lower them a bit. But then again I am running mine at a very low voltage (1.225) compared to the stock (1.325).

Either way good luck with it. I am sure you will enjoy it and besides it looks so cool in a case with blue LED fans.