Having issues installing security updates

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm hoping you guys or gals can help me out here. I currently use windows xp pro w/service pack 3. I have set up my pc to have my updates update automatically but i choose which one to update. I usually choose to update whatever it's recommending me to update. But for some reason the updates won't install. Any ideas why this is happening? Every time i turn my computer off it states that the updates needs to be installed. Same goes when i turn my pc on. This has been happening for 2 weeks know.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Solution

Go to the update page, and choose to a custom update. Select the update(s) that are failing, and choose not to install them, and not to be notified again. They shouldn't try to install after that.

KrisInFla

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Are you seeing the update shield icon in the taskbar? If so click on that icon and follow the instructions to complete the update process. To choose which updates to install select the 'Custom' option.

If you are not seeing the update alert icon then check your automatic updates settings in the Control Panel.

I like to choose which updates to install same as you. I have mine set to automatically download and then let me choose which/when to install.

I hope this helps and good luck mate .

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yes they are the frame work security updates. it looks like they are for service pack 1 and 2. I guess that means i dont' need these updates??? since i already have service pack 3 installed already. Right?

So how do i get rid of the Update install shield in my task bar menu??? Turn off auto updates?

Thanks for the quick responses.

This is a problem directly with the Microsoft Update Website regarding the updates listed below, a WinXP Reinstallation will not even resolve it, the updates are downloaded, and will seemingly install but not get recognition of the install, even directly installing every .NET Framework version available does not solve the problem either.

Best thing to do is allow the Error Reports created to be sent to Microsoft so they can resolve this on their end, below is a quote of the updates causing the problem! :pfff:

*************************************************************************************************

Below Quote directly from Microsoft Windows Update;

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB983583)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)
This update addresses a set of known issues of the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to tamper with digitally signed content without being detected, when this content is being consumed by an application that makes use of the Microsoft .NET Framework on a Windows-based system. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)
Install this update to help strengthen authentication credentials in specific scenarios. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Let me know if that worked. The thing is, it states that it's installing the updates, but it never does. I don't get any error message. As of right now i have my updates turned off.

My biggest issue was my ESET Internet Security kept telling me the OP/SYS wasn't up to date after the machine was running for about 5 minutes, using the manual update I selected to hide the 4 files and not show them again, Microsoft throws up a Warning I have the files hidden, but ESET is now satisfied or fooled, whatever, but apparently from that aspect it is working.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
i'm still having issues. As of right now i have my updates turned off. I don't know what else to do. I went to microsofts website and did the update there but still having the same old problem. I guess it's either do a complete re install or move onto win7. This is becoming a real pain in the ass right now.

I wonder if microsoft is doing this so that i have to upgrade to win7? Conspiracy!!! :eek:

Go to the update page, and choose to a custom update. Select the update(s) that are failing, and choose not to install them, and not to be notified again. They shouldn't try to install after that.

Solution

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
So far it seemed liked it worked. Thanks.