pottymonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
alright, so i built this pc a year ago and its been running fine. i just put a a new hitachi 750 gig hd. what started happening is my screen goes black for maybe a second, and then comes back on. this normally happens once shortly after i boot up.

specs:
Thermaltake Silver Armor
eVGA 680i
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Corsair TWINX 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory
BFG 8800GTX
2 x WD Caviar 250GB
Plextor PX-755SA
Epsilon FSP FX700-GLN

any help on this would be much appreciated. im wondering if it has something to do with running 3 hard drives on one cable or something. really not sure.

thanks!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

3 hdds on one cable? IDE is 2 per cable, SATA is 1 per cable. It could be the 680i has some kind of conflict with the hdd. It's a pretty shaky chipset.

Running 3 HD on the same power cable is almost never a problem.
Is Windows already running when your screen goes black?

pottymonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
3 hdds on one cable? IDE is 2 per cable, SATA is 1 per cable.
sorry, i meant on one power cable coming from the psu.

and yes, windows is fully booted and im logged in. i havent seen any issues with the system, im just worried that it might have something to do with that new hdd being unstable.

Your two WDx250 are not setup in RAID are they?
Because you're already in Windows it seems to me its a driver problem. A hardware problem likely would have shown up before the OS loaded.
Have you tried switching to different SATA data connectors on the motherboard and testing?

pottymonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
my wd drives are not in raid.

when i get the chance, ill switch to a different sata cable and plug it into a different port on the mobo.

thanks for the help guys!