Best Upgrade

Mdowlin2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Earlier in the week I posted about a budget system build, but it turns out I can transplant and upgrade an older build for dorm use. I will need a mid-sized case, but would also like to do an upgrade of some sort. The budget is up to $300.

Motherboard: asus m2n-sli deluxe nforce 570 sli.
CPU: Am2 5200+ Windsor
Graphics card: 8800gts 320mb
Ram: 2x1gb ddr2-6400
HD: 250gb WD 7200 rpm
PSU: 600W OCZ Gamexstream
Sound: onboard
Monitor BenQ FP91G+ 19"
Case: Sunbeam transformer full tower. 3 80mm fans and 2 120mm fans.

I am getting a case, and for the upgrade am thinking new graphics card and a CPU cooler to do some overclocking. the max res is 1280*1024, but I like my AA. What is a good choice for $200-$300?

Thanks.

^
|
I agree. We need some more specifics on what you want to upgrade, and what you want to use the system for? I mean for everyday used and light gaming that system seems fine to me.

For Dorm use? As in you are going to college or are already in college? Shouldn't you save that $300 for books or something? haha I recall $300 being a lot of money when I was in school and wouldn't have put it toward new computer parts if my PC was adequate.

^
|
I state the above assuming you are the average college student coming from an average family with average funds.

To answer your question, and assuming you just want a cooler and GPU.
Cheap decent cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125
Video card choices:
8800GTS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325
8800GT stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318
8800Gt w/ better cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

^
|
Brands may vary but those are the best prices on the brands that I'd be ok with. I prefer XFX or eVGA but sometime the price pays a part.

Mdowlin2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I am in college. I need a new case for the pc to fit in the desk I have. I want to use it for multi-media, moderate gaming and graphic design. A sort of jack of all trades machine that leans toward more graphically intense endeavors.

I know it seems strange that I have this extra cash around, but I have several scholarships so this is a luxury I can afford! My budget is $300 for a Case and whatever upgrade could be considered to give the biggest boost. I do want to over clock to maximize the machine.

As far as a case goes. Dude there is no limit. Go on Newegg and get one you like and that fits the space you have. I'd swing it by here to show us what you choose though. I mean really the best thing you can do with that setup is get a nice video card, an 8800GT/GTS would be your best bet. The G92 GTS that is. Take your old card and sell it to someone for $60. Im sure you can sell it pretty quick when you are in school. I always was able to unload old stuff there.

akhilles

Splendid
jay2tall, check out any local college bookstore & pull out a brand new hardcover book. The price tag might drop your jaws. $300 can buy about 3 of them. Excluding any extras like course materials.

mdowlin2, so your list in the 1st post is what you already have & you're upgrading it for gaming & overclocking. The GTS312 isn't that bad. It still has some life to it. I think you might want to think about going Intel if you're overclocking. Like an E7200 45-nm + GA-P35-DS3L or IP35-E($70 after rebate) = $240 or less. The rest can buy you a case like mine. You should be able to hit 3.6Ghz on stock cooling. If you get Allendale for about a $100, you max out at around 3.6 on good cooling. 45nm will give you a bit of headroom for more than 3.6 o/c.

I was in school from 98-02 and spent anywhere from $250-$500 a semester for books. Dude who says you have to buy them from the book store, or buy new books. I bought several used books. It all depends on your concentration as well, some have more expensive books than others. I think The most I spent was $80 on a single book and the rest were $40-$60. But so what if $300 does buy 1/2 of your books, that's still better than needing the cash for $600 worth of books.

Anyways, enough of the non techy mumbo jumbo.