Need phone w/o plan

Last response: in Network Providers
January 27, 2005 12:56:51 PM

I need a little advice, please. Two days after renewing our Cingular
contract phone was dropped and display sceen broke. no insurance.
Can't get it fixed or replace for less than $100+. where is the best
place to go to buy a phone without a service plan? Can I buy one from
ebay if it says it is a cingular phone?

--
knittinglady
knittinglady's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

More about : phone plan

January 27, 2005 10:35:01 PM

In article <knittinglady.1jiytz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
knittinglady <knittinglady.1jiytz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> I need a little advice, please. Two days after renewing our
> Cingular contract phone was dropped and display sceen broke. no insurance.
> Can't get it fixed or replace for less than $100+. where is the best place
> to go to buy a phone without a service plan? Can I buy one from
ebay if it
> says it is a cingular phone?

You can buy one on ebay. The easiest thing would be to buy a cingular
phone, all you would need to do is pop in your SIM card and be on your
way.

You can also buy an unlocked GSM phone from any carrier that uses 1900
and 850 mhz. Check out http://www/phonescoop.com for lots of info about
phones.

steve
January 27, 2005 10:38:55 PM

In article <270120051333207700%reply@news.group>, steve
<reply@news.group> wrote:

> In article <knittinglady.1jiytz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
> knittinglady <knittinglady.1jiytz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
> > I need a little advice, please. Two days after renewing our
> > Cingular contract phone was dropped and display sceen broke. no insurance.
> > Can't get it fixed or replace for less than $100+. where is the best place
> > to go to buy a phone without a service plan? Can I buy one from
ebay if it
> > says it is a cingular phone?
>

> You can buy one on ebay. The easiest thing would be to buy a cingular
> phone, all you would need to do is pop in your SIM card and be on your
> way.
>
> You can also buy an unlocked GSM phone from any carrier that uses 1900
> and 850 mhz. Check out xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for lots of info about
> phones.
>
> steve

Oops, that URL should read http://www.phonescoop.com/
January 28, 2005 4:57:31 AM

> I need a little advice, please. Two days after renewing our Cingular
> contract phone was dropped and display sceen broke. no insurance.
> Can't get it fixed or replace for less than $100+. where is the best
> place to go to buy a phone without a service plan? Can I buy one from
> ebay if it says it is a cingular phone?

Yes, you can. There are a couple of things to look for, however. Since
you renewed your contract, I would assume the phone is a GSM phone. The
phone must be capable of GSM at both US bands, 850 mHz and 1900 mHz.
Then you can take the SIM card out of the broken phone, insert it into
the new phone, and voila! it works.

Used Cingular phones may also be TDMA/AMPS. If you have a GSM phone,
Cingular will not allow the TDMA phone to be used. TDMA is an old
technology, and Cingular is transitioning its subscribers to the new GSM
network.

What is the phone that dropped? If you tell us, and are not sure how to
tell whether it is GSM or TDMA, we will help you out.

TH
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:55:02 AM

Thanks for all replies. The phone that was dropped was Motorola V220.
We are looking at almost $100 to repair, $150 for Cingular to replace,
and to buy a new phone in a Cingular store without doing a contract
renewal is very pricey. The prices are better on ebay, but I'm a
little worried about getting a phone that will not work with my
service. About the SIM card, does it not have to be the same kind of
phone for the card to work in? I can put this card into anyother phone
that uses a SIM card?

--
knittinglady
knittinglady's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165188
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:06:09 PM

It doesnt have to be the same kind of phone however make sure the
supported bands are GSM 850/1900.
I bought a phone for Cingular on ebay which supported GSM 900/1800/1900
and the seller used it in Ohio for Cingular service however in the
Chicagoland area I got no reception as most of the service here is on
GSM 850 which the phone did not support. On ebay many sellers list
phones without GSM 850 as cingular compatible just because it supports
GSM 1900. Just make sure you buy the right one.
!