XP upgrade problem

I tried to install windows xp and i have windows me. But, went it was
beginning to install it had a blue sreen error message that said, cannot
install because drive C: is corrupt and cannot be repaired. My computer works
great though. I also tried Scandisc on drive see and it didnt find any
errors. Why is this happenning
thank you
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade problem

    Did you covert your drive to NFTS file system from FAT32 prior to trying the
    upgrade?

    "mikedv" wrote:

    > I tried to install windows xp and i have windows me. But, went it was
    > beginning to install it had a blue sreen error message that said, cannot
    > install because drive C: is corrupt and cannot be repaired. My computer works
    > great though. I also tried Scandisc on drive see and it didnt find any
    > errors. Why is this happenning
    > thank you

    No, I don't think I did. How would you do that.
    thanks

    mikedv wrote:

    > No, I don't think I did. How would you do that.
    > thanks
    >
    > "jerryrock" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you covert your drive to NFTS file system from FAT32 prior to
    >> trying the upgrade?

    There would absolutely no reason to do this before an upgrade. Problems
    in upgrading can occur when:

    1. The machine has faulty or marginal hardware, particularly the RAM.
    Win9x/ME are far more forgiving of flaky RAM than NT-based operating
    systems like XP. Start by testing the RAM with Memtest86+ from
    www.memtest.org.

    2. Your hard drive is having problems. Test the drive with a diagnostic
    utility from the drive mftr.'s website. Do this whether or not ME is
    working to be sure the drive is healthy.

    3. You have software and/or hardware installed that is incompatible with
    XP.

    4. You installed with peripherals attached.

    5. There is spyware and/or other software problems on the machine that
    you didn't know about before the upgrade.

    6. There is file system corruption - Scandisk notwithstanding - that is
    causing a problem for XP but still allows the older operating system to
    work.

    7. Other factors that we can't know about from information you posted.

    And so on. Start your troubleshooting with the hard drive test, then the
    RAM.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Do you have the website of which I can download the hard drive test?
    thanks

    mikedv wrote:

    > Do you have the website of which I can download the hard drive test?
    > thanks

    Sure - sorry I didn't give it to you; I just assumed you'd Google it.
    Here are more explicit instructions for hardware tests:

    Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. You will
    download the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with
    the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors,
    replace it.

    Malke
    --

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:00:01 -0700, mikedv wrote:

    > I tried to install windows xp and i have windows me. But, went it was
    > beginning to install it had a blue sreen error message that said, cannot
    > install because drive C: is corrupt and cannot be repaired. My computer works
    > great though. I also tried Scandisc on drive see and it didnt find any
    > errors. Why is this happenning
    > thank you

    Check out this article. It mentions your error messages and discusses some
    possible solutions:
    Problems with Drive Overlay Programs in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315679

    Not mentioned in the above article but important: If GoBack is installed on
    the WinME system, remove it before upgrading.

    Also recommend running the program on the XP upgrade CD that checks your
    system's readiness for upgrading. It may indicate a program or two that is
    not compatible and that will need to be uninstalled before the upgrade can
    take place.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 05:39:36 -0700, mikedv wrote:

    > No, I don't think I did. How would you do that.
    > thanks

    You can't convert a WinME system to NTFS before running XP setup. DURING XP
    setup, you can delete the partition that ME is on, recreate it and format
    as NTFS but then you will have no operating system (ME) if XP setup fails
    again.

    You can convert WinXP to NTFS. This can be done after XP is installed or,
    if preferred, run a clean install and format the drive NTFS using XP's
    setup.

    I think it's important for you to find out if XP will even install on this
    system first. So for now suggest installing XP as an upgrade and saving
    your previous operating system in case you need to revert back to ME. Keep
    in mind that once you convert to NTFS, you lose the option of going back to
    ME.

    Later if you feel up to it or feel the need, go for a clean install -
    installing everything from scratch including your favorite programs. Opt
    for NTFS at this point if you want.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    mikedv wrote:
    > I tried to install windows xp and i have windows me. But, went it was
    > beginning to install it had a blue sreen error message that said, cannot
    > install because drive C: is corrupt and cannot be repaired. My computer works
    > great though. I also tried Scandisc on drive see and it didnt find any
    > errors. Why is this happenning
    > thank you

    As the WinXP installation routine is reporting problems with a damaged
    file system, you'll probably have to format the hard drive and perform a
    clean installation, rather than an upgrade. And that's assuming, mind
    you, that you computer's hardware components actually are capable of
    supporting WinXP.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers