Overclocking Mind Twister Problem

themasterer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I got a new E2220 CPU 2 days ago and i was somehow forced to overclock it because when i put it in my system instead of running at its default speed of 2.4Ghz my Bios was detecting it at 1.6Ghz... Maybe because my previous cpu was 1.6ghz but i dunno..

So, after reading the tutorial here, i decided to overclock it to 3.2 ghz as i've read that it should be fine with this speed

When i overclock it to 3.2 ghz, it works without any trouble: I played gta4 for 5 hours straight on and i ran OCCT CPU:Linpack test for 5 hours and it passed the test without crashing or anything. I've even run orthos for 5 hours and it didn't detect any errors.

But after a cold start,i.e after its been shutdown for long a while and restarted, It starts behaving weirdly:

- Yesterday, my mobo simply didn't apply my new overclocked settings, everything (voltages,multipler,etc) went back to normal and it obviously didn't past POST.

-Today, new problems : My overclocking settings were good in bios but it gave me a bluescreen just before logging into vista. So, i had to reduce my clock from 3.2 Ghz to 2.4Ghz then it started normally. And then after it started normally, i changed it back again to 3.2 and now its working perfect again.

Here are the hardware connected and some overclock info:

CPU: E2220. It runs at 30 degrees passively and upto 60 when on full load.
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
RAM: CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX
512MB Xpertvision 9600GT
1*200Gb Seagate and 1*250 samsung HDD
Winpower 650W PSU
1 DVD RW drive

Here are some screenshots :

11t97rc.jpg

1fv3f5.jpg

ay6fwh.jpg

If you've read till the end of this post, congrats ;) and thanks for reading :D ....This sounds like a very complex problem to me. I hope it can be solved. :)

themasterer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
thanks for the reply, i could try that. I want to keep it at 3.2Ghz so, i'll try 267x12.
1 question. This memory frequency that i have in the bios as 800 : 800 is it suppose to be the same number ?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Little something from Gigabyte web site on your board:

(Don't know if it applies to your situation)

* Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur.
Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

themasterer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
no, it wouldn't apply with these ram but i do know that this board gets a bit unstable on 4*1GB Ram as all my previous 4 sticks ram didn't work.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, with only two sticks in the same color slots it wouldn't affect you.

My only guess would be to clear the Cmos and replace the battery.

Also, when you ran OCCT did you check your voltage screens to see if you had any large ripples that might point you to a PSU problem?

I would also populate all settings in your Bios from auto/normal to their lowest or auto value. Some boards just don't play nice with auto and ocing.

themasterer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
i searched the internet and it turn out that the fsb wall of this chip was 300, so no wonder that it wouldn't save the 320 overclock. I'm now passing occt test for 2 hours stable at 266x12.

Today when i cold started the settings remained but i still get bluescreen so i had to decrease the fsb then it was fine to overclock. i dunno what the advanced timing control means so i don't touch those settings. to answer your question, no there's no big ripples in the graph.

Could it be a problem with the cpu ?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OK then, not even gonna comment on your last post.

Here are your specs:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA8W

CLEAR your CMOS!!!

Start fresh, LOWER your multi (6-8) and set strap(System Memory Multiplier 2.0) to 1:1 (so you don't oc your ram) then work up your fsb changing Vcore/NB/GTL as needed to find your max FSB.

Then Do the same with your Ram to see how far you can push it.

Once you have both settings with voltages you'll have a good idea on how far you can push your system.

Good luck.

I got a new E2220 CPU 2 days ago and i was somehow forced to overclock it because when i put it in my system instead of running at its default speed of 2.4Ghz my Bios was detecting it at 1.6Ghz... Maybe because my previous cpu was 1.6ghz b
It's called SpeedStep.
6*266= 1 596, hence 1.6Ghz.

For OCing:
GUIDE: Overclocking On EP/P35-DS3L

Side note: Replace your PSU ASAP, it's a low quality PSU and it's a time bomb.

themasterer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

Thanks for the link.. I'm still having the cold-start problem but apparently it is a common thing that it resets back to default settings with this board. You say replace the psu. why? Whats the worst that can happen with it? i'm probably thinking to replace the mobo first