Oakcdrom.sys problem :(

Saigun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hi everyone!

For the last few years I've been using laptops so I really haven't had the confidence in taking them apart. But recently I've just recieved an intel server board s3000AH(LX) from my boss for free :) yay!...so I ventured out to tigerdirect to grab myself an intel pentium d 965 extreme edition processor.

had an old ata hard drive and an ata LG cd/dvd burner so i'm using those for now.

everythings assembled got xp pro installed but the problem is...i can't get certain drivers to install especially the motherboard drivers for some reason and the intel server deployment cd which contains
system drivers won't start up (wondering if because independant os program can't detect cd?) it freezes after loading some files...

so i'm trying to update the bios

but it seems like with every boot method I use i can't get oakcdrom.sys to detect my LG cd drive

now i have the ata hard drive hooked up as the master and on the same controller i have lg cd/dvd burner as the slave...both can be detected in windows xp

so i'm wondering is it because i have both on the same controller which prevents oakcdrom.sys to be installed?

i don't wanna go buy an sata hd or a sata cd/dvd burner if that isn't the problem

any help is appreciated...thx in advance...(I am a newbie i only started getting into computer hardware this year so forgive my unintended ignorance and enlighten me with your awesome knowledge :)

Solution
Have you tried booting from those Linux live CDs? Their driver suites are pretty comprehensive, and should be able to detect your old drive.

As an alternative, unless you're funds are really limited, I suggest you plop down $20 for a new CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (and yes, get another LG). It's possible that your drive is simply too old.

r_manic

Administrator
Have you tried booting from those Linux live CDs? Their driver suites are pretty comprehensive, and should be able to detect your old drive.

As an alternative, unless you're funds are really limited, I suggest you plop down $20 for a new CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (and yes, get another LG). It's possible that your drive is simply too old.

Solution

Saigun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
thx for the tip i'll try that out

but on a side note i did figure out 75 per cent of my problem...
i was totally misled...i had an intel dq965gf board instead of a s3000ahlx server board
because of the box it came in....or unless the chinese pulled an old switcharoo
regardless i was able to find my video drivers and system drivers which then gave me
proper vcore readings with cpuz....after updating windows multiple times i was then able
to update my bios using the windows executable provided at intel's support site

still the other 25 percent is booting into dos prompt with cdrom support
(i was also wondering reading some old news archives that having cdrom n hd on same controller
limits the faster one to run at same speed as slower device...is it true/?)

also i found at intel's support site for my board was a dos util:

"IDE (PATA): Marvell* IDE Controller DOS Driver
Installs the DOS driver for the Marvell* IDE (PATA) controller on Intel Desktop boards for IDE CD/DVD drives."

is this the solution to what's left of my problem?