Red light on NForce 780i while booting . . .

agarttmeyer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hi I just signed up for this site because I always find my way here while dealing with my build and hope someone can how me with a slight issue . . .

I have a little problem with my NForce 780i motherboard. Occasionally when I hit the power button to start my computer up all fans (including fan on Freezer 7 Pro HS) and lights will turn on but my monitor will not recieve a signal. The motherboard gets to the FF post-code which is good but a red light appears right under the CPU fan connector. This light normally does not appear when the computer functions properly and when I turn it off and on again it boots up normally. So, I am a little confused. I am not sure if flashing my bios again might help because I did update the bios using Nvidia control panel instead of a floppy. Also, the motherboard could be bad but I have no idea so anyone who is willing to give me an idea would be awesome. Thanks!

NForce 780i
Q6600 Kenstfield (default)
Freezer 7 Pro
GeForce 8800GT

Temps: 38 38 34 36 (CoreTemp)

VvLOGiKvV

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I get that too. My problem is exactly like yours. :hello:

Figured out what it is.. for me at least. Power supply. My 12v rails aren't supplying enough power for a successful boot. Approximately 10.4v to be exact.

To get it going I need to hit the reset button for a few minutes. Sometimes I need to reset the CMOS too. Sometimes nothing works and I need to wait a day or two.

So, if you have access to one swap out the psu for another.

Hope this helps. GL!

G

I have the same problem but my thing is i cant even get anything to post on the screen i built it had all my connections right but when i turn it on absolutly nothing is posting up. Im not sure what it is and The light next to my heatsink is also red. I cant figure out for the life of me how to get the Darn thing to post something for me>.< I Talked to the Tech guy at work and he said that he had the same problem with his PC and that it was his PS, Im not sure if my PS is missing a rail or what it is:-\. All fans are comming on but something that uis worring me is that my heatsink's Fan stay's on and is not shutting off like it should. Im hoping to all high hell i havent fried the Processer. So any help on the matter would be highly appricated