Connection Down

Have roofers out putting on a new roof, and for that the antenna for my
wireless internet connection will be down. So for next few days, wont have
a net connection. Hope to be back soon

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:04:33 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> Have roofers out putting on a new roof,

Does it suit them?

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Ah, newer phone lines is one advantage we have up here,
> since it's a newer development.
> When I had Prodigy (which was sold to SBC) I was damn
> lucky to get connected at 33,000bps (or, 33.0Kbps). This cheaper
> (by half!) PeoplePC is connected at a steady 45,200 (45.2Kbps)
> all the time. (I'm off in a weird corner, and the wireless reception
> isn't reliable.)

Just found out that the ISP will be out next week, and they'll put on a
new better antenna too. We have a subdivision being built next door, and
the ISP has a deal with us that since we are the highest house they'll put
a rebroadcaster on our roof and when the ISP starts having people from the
subdivision sign up, we'll get free net.

I remember when Prodigy got bought out. Swbell switched to use the prodigy
news servers, and the quality of the news access went to hell.

Hellmark wrote:
> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>> Ah, newer phone lines is one advantage we have up here,
>> since it's a newer development.
>> When I had Prodigy (which was sold to SBC) I was damn
>> lucky to get connected at 33,000bps (or, 33.0Kbps). This cheaper
>> (by half!) PeoplePC is connected at a steady 45,200 (45.2Kbps)
>> all the time. (I'm off in a weird corner, and the wireless reception
>> isn't reliable.)
>
> Just found out that the ISP will be out next week, and they'll put on
> a new better antenna too. We have a subdivision being built next
> door, and the ISP has a deal with us that since we are the highest
> house they'll put a rebroadcaster on our roof and when the ISP starts
> having people from the subdivision sign up, we'll get free net.

There was a fellow down the hill who cut a deal like that
with our local small-dish microwave TV service way back
when- what was the name of that?
Anyway, he let them put the huge antennas in his yard,
and he free TV. But when his wife died, and he wanted to
move, they had to remove the equipment and all the folks
who had subscribed had to get satellite TV.

> I remember when Prodigy got bought out. Swbell switched to use the
> prodigy news servers, and the quality of the news access went to hell.

*Everything* went to hell- that's why we got the expensive
sat when it became available to us.

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>> his body were:
>>> Ah, newer phone lines is one advantage we have up here,
>>> since it's a newer development.
>>> When I had Prodigy (which was sold to SBC) I was damn
>>> lucky to get connected at 33,000bps (or, 33.0Kbps). This cheaper
>>> (by half!) PeoplePC is connected at a steady 45,200 (45.2Kbps)
>>> all the time. (I'm off in a weird corner, and the wireless reception
>>> isn't reliable.)
>> Just found out that the ISP will be out next week, and they'll put on
>> a new better antenna too. We have a subdivision being built next
>> door, and the ISP has a deal with us that since we are the highest
>> house they'll put a rebroadcaster on our roof and when the ISP starts
>> having people from the subdivision sign up, we'll get free net.
> There was a fellow down the hill who cut a deal like that
> with our local small-dish microwave TV service way back
> when- what was the name of that?
> Anyway, he let them put the huge antennas in his yard,
> and he free TV. But when his wife died, and he wanted to
> move, they had to remove the equipment and all the folks
> who had subscribed had to get satellite TV.

I don't know, never had that out here.

>> I remember when Prodigy got bought out. Swbell switched to use the
>> prodigy news servers, and the quality of the news access went to hell.
> *Everything* went to hell- that's why we got the expensive
> sat when it became available to us.

Well, things got worse after that. What happened with the Prodigy buy out
seemed like little bumps compared to when the SBC/Yahoo merger hit. Had a
short in my phone line (outside of my house) that was messing up my DSL
connection, and they kept sending out people to try to fix it, and each
time the guy would be there for a few minutes say "Nothing I can do", and
they'd charge me $45, whether I wanted them to come out or not. Connection
went to hell, tech support was moved to India, there'd be times where I'd
not have a connection for days (unrelated to the phoneline short).