need some help with my freezing computer. ive got
power supply:: 450 watt
motherboard:: bio-star m7ncd ultra
processor:: amd 2600
video card:: geforce 6800 gs 512 ram by diablo-tek
hdd:: 55 gig
memory:: 1 gig
onboard sound and network

.........im having problems with playing even the simplest of games, even some screensavers, the comp will always freeze with all my games except CFS 1 (i get 60-90 fps with this game). the cpu temp when freezing is between 120 F - 130 F while idle 110 F - 115 F. my cpu fan speed is a steady 2400 rpm, but i dont think that these temps are too hot.. i currently have updated drivers throughout the comp. all default bios settings. I have tried everything that i could think of, so if anyone could help, i would be greatly appreciated.

yamahazr

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
maybe it's your faulty power supply.what brand do you use?Try resetting the cmos setting by removing battery located between pci express slot for an hour..

leo2kp

Distinguished
Could be PSU but I'm leaning more towards either drivers, or another piece of hardware such as the card itself or RAM. What screen-saver are you using? What brand is your PSU? Any 2-D games make it freeze?

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Let's tell us AMD 2600 overclocked@what speed? Geforce 6800GS overclocked @ what speed? If overclocked Which tools you are using to OC your Geforce 6800GS?

not_again

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
My psu is a Ultra model::win-400ps.
sorry i thought it was a 450watt/...
not sure if its relevant...but it says pentium 4 on the side...i am running an amd2600
i have not overclacked anything/ its all original settings/ last night i tried to play brick blaster then it froze-up/ i dont have pci....its an apg

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008

it is strange. How long is your mobo and PSU used? Check the BIOS to see if the CPUID is correct or not.

Do you mean the system information inside the game setting reported your CPU as Pentium 4 while your actual CPU is AMD2600? Is the system information reported by Windows also with same issue?

not_again

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
my settings are all correct, nothing else i have says im running a pentium 4, the stamp just brought curiosity. mobo, and psu has been used for 2-3 yrs, everygame and all applications are all set to amd 2600.

ive also noticed another thing, i had to underclock the cpu to 1250, to keep it from locking up inn combat-flight-sim 1, even though the cpu has not ever overheated could that be a sign that my psu is quitting on me, or are my problems more than expected??

meanwhile, i thank the time all you have set aside for me

not_again

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
i think my problems are worse than expected..........
today i couldnt seem to keep the cpu temp under 50 celcius..... it got up to 67 celcius.... then i turned it off. rebooted, went into windows after cooling it down. got a giant box fan throwing wind on the inside of the case tried to play postal 2 while loading....the computer turned itself off totally. then it started making a loud "british ambulance siren" sound, not really sure what that means. could it be that the motherboard is bad?? and could it be slowly taking out my processor?? the cpu has a good amount of thermal grease. im lost for words.... does anybody have any idea that could be my issue???

thnx for the time once again.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Most likely is the problem of your mobo or the CPU cooling, the abnormal sound would be the alarm of overheated but you may check with the mobo manual to see the meaning of long siren sound means. Please check if the CPU cooler unfortunately the cooler is loose, or if you have additional powerful CPU cooling available for this CPU, you may try to change the cooler to see if you can overcome the overheat problem.

I didn't use AMD cpu in past 5 years and have no idea on the reliability of Bio-star mobo so the problem other than cooling may be not helpful for you.