Upgrade or new build?

lonewuhf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Hello all. I've been looking to build a new system (specs are in another thread) but I got to thinking, maybe I can upgrade my current system instead. I just want to know the likelyhood of getting my current system back to a great gaming computer, but am not sure how well it will take upgrades. I use the system for gaming/surfing the net only, and very rarely run multiple programs at once. Current system info is as follows:

Mobo: A8N-SLI Premium, system bus 1600/2000 MT per second
Processor: AMD Athlon 64+ 3200, Socket 939, Core speed 2000mhz
Case: Generic case, dunno if it needs upgrading (actually dont even know what case it is)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6800
PSU: 450w
Memory: 1.5ghz DDR 2700

The mainboard does not support DDR2, but from what I've read DDR1 still comes really close to the performance of DDR2. I want to upgrade to 4gig of ram, and Vista Home Premium. I'll also upgrade my PSU if needed, and obviously my graphics card needs an upgrade. The mainboard does have 2 PCI express ports and supports SLI. Would My processor and mobo need an upgrade? How far could this system be OCd if I were to just upgrade my graphics card, ram, and PSU? I would appreciate any suggestions as I dont know if its worth my money to upgrade this rig, or just buy a new one.

P.S. My budget would be around 800 dollars to buy a new rig, but itd be nice to just upgrade this one for less and spend the extra money on a new monitor, mine's ancient.

It is possible to upgrade your current system, just not recomended.
The greatist limitation of your current rig is the S939 Mb.
Currently the egg has only one 939 cpu still stocked, a single core 4000+.
If you could still find a X2 3800+ or better for S939 it would be a fesiable upgrade.

The DDR1 ram for your system is also no problem.
4 gigs can be had for about $180.

You can stick any PCIe GPU in your current rig and it should run just fine.
It will, however, be limited by your CPU.

For about the same price as upgrading your CPU and ram you should be able to get a new Mb, CPU and ram.

lonewuhf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
A quick search of google brings up a bunch of X2 3800+'s, (http://www.google.com/products?ie=UTF-8&q=X2+3800%2B&um=1) However, the pricings seems a little random. Any suggestions from that list?

Not really, most of the socket 939 chips are perminatly out of stock.
You could try here as they claim that they still have a "low stock" of them for just under $80.
The next best site on the list that may have it in stock lists it around $200.

For prices like that, it would be a much better move upgrading your whole system.
You can easily upgrade on a budget...

780G Mb for $70
x2 5000+ BE cpu for $100
2Gb of ram from $38
or
4Gb of ram from $64
and a 3850 for $110.

A completely new system from $318 seems like a much better investment to me...
Add some overclocking on to that and you will be doing pretty good.

My 2¢