How Far can i push my System (Pentium D 945 3.4ghz)

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
My current comp specs are

CPU: Pentium D 945 3.4ghz (i currently have it OCd to 3.72ghz)
mobo: Asus P5dr2-VM (yah i know its kinda old and not the best but ill be upgrading next year or so)
ram: 2x 1024mb DDR2 Corsair (not 100% sure on specs)
GPU: EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ 1024mb GDDR3 Ram (just got it, upgraded it now, gonna use it in my next system)
PSU: Ultra LSP 750watt (at 12v it runs at 45a)

My current case has pretty good airflow its a steel sided case and I keep my pc in my basement (as thats were my office is) when running speed fan currently while playing games etc my current temps for core and gpu fluctuate a bit (all the cooling is pretty much stock)

Core goes from about 35-40
GPU goes from 41-55

Now this mobo isnt the best for overclocking I can tell you that now, it is very limited in options. All I am able to change is the mhz i uped it from the stock 200>220

However I do have the option to change the "Memory Clock Mode" from auto to manual, which then allows me to change my OverClock Memory Clock (tho i havent touched this as I was not sure on what it would do)

So 2 questions.

1) How much higher can i pump up my CPU (currently have it at 3.72ghz running at 220mhz
2) What does changing the Memory Clock mode and adjusting its mhz do? and should i do it?

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
yah but clearly as i go higher and higher temperatures rise. I am fairly new to overclocking so what are stable/safe temperatures? (also how do i know if my system is stable)

atm I am using speedfan to monitor my temperatures.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
The lower the temperature the better - Some people will tell you anything under 65 is sufficient - I'd say mid 50s is probably as high as I'd go.

Test your system stability by running Prime95 for 12/24 hours or OCCT for 8hours.
You will be notified of any errors either of those programs will find. I know for a fact that OCCT stops the test right away and lets you know if it isn't stable.

Some people use a software called Orthos (i think), though i've never tried it.

You also know your computer isn't stable if it doesn't boot lol or you constantly get the BSOD.

Cheers

jaypamps

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
anyone able to answer my 2nd question?

However I do have the option to change the "Memory Clock Mode" from auto to manual, which then allows me to change my OverClock Memory Clock (tho i havent touched this as I was not sure on what it would do)

2) What does changing the Memory Clock mode and adjusting its mhz do? and should i do it?