Sign in with
Your question

IDE hardrive not recognised by windows setup

Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2009 1:34:46 PM

hello,

I'm trying to setup a media computer using components from my old PC. Because if this, I am using slightly dated technology. Nothing too old, but worth noting i guess.

During the windows XP media center setup, I am getting the

"setup cannot find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3" error.

Before we go any further, the hardrives are NOT sata. All the threads I can find about this are relating to SATA installations and I'm finding it very difficult to find anything about IDE (PATA) problems.

At first, I thought it must be a motherboard driver problem, but the drive IS being recognised by the BIOS. Its only when I get to the windows setup that I have a problem. I've even run a third party boot program, and the hardrive is still not seen as soon as you get out of the bios.

This is absolutely doing my head in!! Please can someone help me out with this. When this was my main computer, I used to run fresh installs all the time, I've no idea why this is causing me a problem.

Also, I might add, I've tried to find copies of the QDI platinix 2e v2.0 drivers, but can't seen to find them even on the QDI website.

My setup is as follows:

Motherboard: QDI PlatiniX 2e v2.0
CPU: Pentium 4 - 2.8Ggz
Memory: DDR- 1x256 1x512
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Ultra-ATA (40Gb)
Optical: LG DVD RW
GFX: ATI 6800

I do have other hardware, but nothing else is plugged in to keep things simple.

I have checked and double checked bumper settings, cables, power, formatting, HDD errors etc on other computers. The hard drive works fine in a USB encloure.

Thanks alot everybody, I'm really looking forward to some replies!!
July 25, 2009 7:51:01 PM

Funny, I'm having same problem today..Computer was dead when I came to it this morning. It was running a xp pro that fell off the truck ( u know what mean, a little new yorkese there). Bios was quirky... no hd detected black screen ect. Tried to do repair install and xp setup could not find hd..or comunicate with it something like that on both hds..Clone disk of this one had same problem would not boot! Tried many things as one would expect. Tested hd's in other computer replaced cables, new cmos battery reset cmos ect...Now, (as a last resort) I went to the original recovery cd which has a legal copy of xp home on it and it and it is acting normal so far, it is still installing at this writing...Some thing on that cd that loads during setup (I suppose) that was lost last night (left computer on last night lots of power outages here due to thunder storms)..
July 25, 2009 8:19:30 PM

OK, original oem disk loaded and installed xp home, however the xp pro (The grey area one) recovery disk still will not install, can't find hd for some reason..Work very well before...Also tried a vista disk just to see how far it would get, and it failed also.........odd
Related resources
July 27, 2009 9:02:51 AM

you've completely hijacked my thread.
a b G Storage
July 27, 2009 2:00:26 PM

slodad, it is considered rude to start posting your problems into someones else thread. Start a new thread if you have a problem you would like help with.
If you are using illegal software, then posting here to try and solve your problems will get you banned.
We do not tolerate the use of illegal or "feel off the truck so to say" software users.

To the OP, are the jumpers set correctly on the drive?
The drive must be set to master, and on the end of the the ribbon cable.
If you have an Opitical drive attached to it as well, or another drive, it must be on the center connection, and set to slave.
If you do have another HDD hooked up to the cable, unhook it until the install is done.
Make sure your boot order is set correctly, CD/DVD first, HDD second.
July 27, 2009 3:58:04 PM

jitpublisher said:
To the OP, are the jumpers set correctly on the drive?
The drive must be set to master, and on the end of the the ribbon cable.
If you have an Opitical drive attached to it as well, or another drive, it must be on the center connection, and set to slave.
If you do have another HDD hooked up to the cable, unhook it until the install is done.
Make sure your boot order is set correctly, CD/DVD first, HDD second.

Oh my word, its always the simple things init. Well, kind of... Thanks very much, jit. It installing windows as we speak.

Bumpers we're all set correctly, although I had the optical and the hdd as masters on different IDE connections. I changed the optical to slave and the HDD to master on IDE 1 but the optical drive wasnt being recognised. I then changed it to IDE 2 and its all working perfectly. Could there be aproblem with my first IDE channel?

thanks again mate, honsetly saved me buying a new motherboard! What an idiot!
a b G Storage
July 27, 2009 6:54:48 PM

It could be disabled in the BIOS, maybe?
a c 349 G Storage
July 27, 2009 8:43:08 PM

Master & Slave pair work on IDE2, but not IDE1? Either the IDE1 port is faulty, or the cable on it is faulty. So, did you switch cables when you switched ports, or just move the mobo end of the same cable from one port to the other? If you used the same cable, obviously it's not the problem. But if you swapped cables, too, try using the suspect cable from IDE1 on the working IDE2 port. If that will not work, just buying a new cable should give you back the use of the IDE1 port.

By the way, on some IDE hard drives there were more than two jumper settings (Master or Slave). Some sub-divided the Master option to Master with Slave Present, or Master with No Slave. You had to choose right if using a Master only on one IDE channel.
!