Dual-Channel Supported?

frozenfoxy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hey all. New here and trying to figure out something with my older system...

Recently installed a dual channel kit from OCZ in an older system (PC3200 rated). When I fire up CPU-Z it tells me I'm running Single rather than Dual. I've consulted the manual to see if it supports dual channel, but all I can find is "Double Side" and "Single Side". I highly doubt this means dual and single channel, but I'm not sure. If anyone could point me to something that lets me know if my memory bus can support dual channel or not, I'd very much appreciate it... also, if it does support dual channel, then what might I be doing wrong to have it configure for single channel?

Here's some specs:
Motherboard MSI K8T NEO-FSR
Chipset VIA K8T800 (VT8383)
Southbridge VIA VT8237
Memory PC3200 DDR400 OCZ OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K 2GB Dual Channel Kit

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide! Let me know if you need anything else.

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
judging by the spex on msi's website (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo-FSR), i dont believe ur mobo has dual channel RAM slots, although your mobo has dual channel SATA controllers..

also, usually for most mobo companies, dual channel works on every other slot... in other words try putting ur two stix of ram on slot 1 and slot 3 (slot 2 should be empty)... but note that some companies make it so that dual channel is right next to each other (slot 1 and slot 2)

correct me if im wrong.... hope this helped...

frozenfoxy

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for the reply ironsung. Wanted to see if anyone else would agree that it probably doesn't support dual channel and I wasn't going crazy!

Thanks for the tip as well. Yeah, I've tried all orientations with the RAM already to see if I was just putting them in the wrong slots. 1/2 is single channel and allows DDR400, 1/3 is single channel and allows DDR400, and 2/3 is also single channel but allows only DDR333. The 1/2 configuration seems to get the most throughput for some reason (don't ask me why, I'm not sure I even understand! :kaola: )

Anyway, guess I'll have to be satisfied with 64 bit instead of 128 bit. Oh well. Again, thanks for the info!

Best wishes,
FrozenFoxy