Hard Drive Displays incorrect capacity

Just bought a new Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive from newegg, and after installing it the capacity reads 137 (*Edit: I mistyped, it displays a capacity of 127GB) GB... I ran "HDD Capacity Restore Tool" and it says there was no problem found and the drive was reporting 1000GB when in fact it still was not.

Any suggestions?

*Edit: I mistyped, it actually displays a capacity of 127GB
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive displays incorrect capacity
  1. what kind of computer do you have (its age also)

what size are your other hdd(s) you have installed

What OS are you running.
  2. Get service pack 1 or 2 for XP to support 48-bit Logical Block Addressing.
  3. ^ Yes, Windows prior to XP, Service Pack 1 can only read hard drive capacity up to 137gig. It is a limitation of the OS, and was taken care of with the release of Service Pack 1 for XP.
  4. I just typed a big response explaining what everyone asked, but then I figured out what the apparent problem was. All I had to do was go to (In Vista) Device Manager -> Disk Manager, and I found that the drive had made all but 127GB unallocated...

The problem:
    I am running a 320GB drive on the same computer that is dual booting XP SP2 and Vista. When I made the vista section I decided randomly that 170GB was a good amount for that side, which left the somewhat random 127GB left for the XP partition. Because I only own a vista "upgrade" I had to install XP as a proprietary step to installing Vista on the new 1TB drive. SOMEHOW despite the 320GB drive not being connected at the time, the 1TB drive was given only 127GB available. I luckily noticed that they were the same size after lots of struggling. Weird...

Anyway, thanks for the responses!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Displays Storage