17in CRT vs 19in LCD

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for reading this thread, here is my question.

Im using a 17in CRT monitor which runs at a resolution of 1152 x 864. I sat it up at higher resolution because I like to see things in smooth and fine. When it is pixelized, it annoys me to hell.

But would it be better if I get 19in LCD with native resolution of 1440 x 900 or higher. Keep in mind it is 19in, will I be noticing pixels? Even during normal windows usage.

What is your opinion, shall I upgrade my 17in CRT to a 19in LCD keep in mind that money is important in such decisions.

And lastly, lets say that I decided to upgrade. Shall I get the wide screen ones, or the standard version? And why.

Edit- it was paraphrased, since I failed the first time, and managed to get bashed at my writing, which made me feel insulted. Although I realize it was my fault.

if my english yet fails. then i apologize for the headache caused by my ignorance.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
19" LCD resolution is typically 1280x1024 unless you go with a widescreen LCD. Your problem with 'seeing the pixels' shouldn't be the case with a 8800GT, but I guess if you sit close enough to sunburn your retinas, give it a shot. Sounds more like you are distorting the images due to non-standard resolutions between your graphics card and those supported by your monitor. An LCD typically doesn't suffer from this like a CRT does; but it can still be an issue.

And please work on spelling and grammar...those make a forum thread much easier to understand. I understand this is the day and age of IM and text grammar, though it shouldn't be the substitute for actual typing skills when needed. Heck, just open a Word doc and type your dialogue in...it should take care of spelling and grammar check. Just a suggestion.

Thanks.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Alright. I was going to bash you, but after a bit of consideration ill give ya a nice reply.

Anti-Aliasing is your friend agaisnt pixelization. 2x would suffice.
Once you go Wide, you wont go back to 4:3. Trust me on this. I dont even look to 4:3 as monitors no more.
Your CRT have higher resolution. just because the Visible Real estate is really small. In CRT you never got the full 17" because :
1- Curvature
2- Plastic takes off a inch.

When you seem the diferent between a 19" TFT vs a 17" CRT, you ll notice that is a bit more than just 2".

My 2 cents

Edit: I was going to bash you just because off spelling already refered by Rubix_1011. I have my errors aswell, and spelling mistakes, but English is far from my native language.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Thats an odd resolution you are running there, what make and model is your current monitor?

A 19" Non widescreen LCD has one of the largest pixel pitch's (pixel size) of common display types.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It wasn't so much the spelling as it was deliberate use of using 'c' for 'see', 'n' for 'and' and 'coz' for because. I understand that this is an international forum, so often there are discrepancies for word translation.

However, using c, n and coz are just laziness and imply that a person doesn't really feel its necessary to take the time (+1 seconds) to properly write out sentence structure. Sorry, I just have a pet peeve with people who don't use correct sentence structure. And honestly, I have seen many international users that have better spelling and grammar usage than those here in the U.S.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
^fixed. lol

i wont be able to use the anti-alising in windows mode. so would i still see the pixelised image? knowing that ill be running the LCD in native resolution.

most of the LCDs i found in this market are having 1440 x900 resolution for the 19in. i found one which is like 1680x1050. will my GT be able to take care of games at this resolution? with anti alising at x2?

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

I would be surprised if the 1680x1050 resolution was a 19" panel normally that resolution is a 20" panel. Your 8800GT should be able to run MOST games at 1680x1050 with 2xaa

A 19" 1440x900 widescreen LCD will have a 0.285 pixel pitch compared with a .258 pixel pitch for a 20" lcd running at 1680x1050. A 20" widescreen will give a better size pixel in windows than the 19" will. Without knowing your current monitors specifications I couldnt say if either of these monitors will be better than your current CRT monitor. Both monitor sizes are noticeably worse for pixelation than my crt screens.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depending which version of nVidia drivers you use, you should be able to change the quality settings within the driver tool (nTune desktop, or whatever it's called now). As for the 1440x900 resolution, that is (almost certain) widescreen in any screen size. I think even my Dell laptop for work is 1440x900 and it is a 17". I would think that if it scales well, it should work fine...as long as both card and monitor support that resolution. To be honest, I just find a setting that looks good in-game and just tweak it without being too worried about the actual resolution. Usually, with the more powerful cards, they actually run a lot better once you set the resolution higher anyway.